Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gkbrown Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2013, 08:40 PM
    Gex9868jq0
    The dryer will not turn on the sensing light just keeps flashing.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2013, 02:22 AM
    Hi gkbrown and welcome, have you run the diagnostic test as your manual recommends?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2013, 06:05 AM
    These driers will do that when the lint builds up like concrete on the inside of the air ducts. Halfway cleaning it will not work. You need to totally tear it down and scrape out and wash all of the parts except the motor, which you vacuum out. You can go to YouTube to see videos on how to take it apart, but do a very good job or it will fail again quickly. I would get a new belt and change it while you have it apart and get some white lithium grease and grease any bearings you find. You need to clean out a drier every two years, at least, according to the manual. You just unplug the wires from the sensors and remove ductwork that they are attached on and clean the entire thing with soap and water. Make sure you go all through the dryer and get all parts like the blower fan and housing, vacuum out motor well and clean exhaust. Mark all wires you unplug so you know where they go. This is an easier job than you would think. Make sure to clean around all of the sensors, too, because when they cannot sense the dryer will not work, plus the burning lint deposits will burn down your house. See: Dryer vent cleaning prevents fires - YouTube and: Cleaning out a dryer with top lint cleanout - YouTube
    Cleaning out a dryer: By a woman 2 of 2 - YouTube

May 21, 2013, 08:16 AM
    I can not find diagnostics in the manual. Could you tell me how to preform the diagnostic test?
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2013, 09:01 AM
    Hi gk, it would be really hard for me to try and explain how to perform tests on the machine. Have you checked anything? Are you up to testing? I'll try and link you to manual.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s%20dryers.pdf

I hope this works.

I meant to ask if the vent and duct work were clean?

May 21, 2013, 10:18 AM
    Thank you for the link to the manual, I will start on the repair tonight. At this point I can't say if the duct work is clean or not, but will make sure it is this evening.

Thanks again for your help, I will let you know the outcome of our efforts tonight.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Dirt or improper venting can point to certain problems, check that close and let me know what it looks like. Do you own a volt/ohm meter and understand how to use it?

May 21, 2013, 01:05 PM
    Yes I do. I put it in diagnostic mode and the display was 88, so I think the board is okay, I will know more this evening.

May 21, 2013, 05:40 PM
    According to the test results I have a bad control board. I had no voltage between the motor (P1-2) and door (P1-3)
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2013, 07:19 PM
    I'd double check that, that's an expensive part. You want to be sure before buying that part. You did check all connection and make sure the wiring in not damaged?

May 21, 2013, 08:28 PM
    Yes I did, and I think I will just replace the dryer with a new one rather than spend a couple of hundred and still have the same old unit.

Can't thank you enough for sharing your time and knowledge with me on this.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2013, 01:32 AM
    Your more than welcome, thanks for the update it may help someone down the line, good luck with the new dryer and come back anytime with a question or jump in and answer some.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2013, 08:27 PM
    That sounds more like a cheap safety to me.

May 23, 2013, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    your more than welcome, thanks for the update it may help someone down the line, good luck with the new dryer and come back anytime with a question or jump in and answer some.
    I was wondering if you would share your opinion on a couple of dryer choices?
    I am looking at these two models: General Electric GTDP520EDWW and Frigidaire Affinity Series FASE7074LW. The later is a steam dryer, they are both around $500. The GE is from a big box store and the Frigidaire is from a local dealer, and is a discontinued model (replaced by FASE7074NW $829).

Thank you
    Gary
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2013, 05:35 AM
    Hi again, How old was your old dryer? Did it not last long? You did test the safety switches for continuity as Tom mentioned?

But back to the question, I've had good luck with whirlpool, but you know what they say about opinions...
    I do think I would stay away from a known discontinued model. Good luck

May 23, 2013, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    hi again, How old was your old dryer? did it not last long? you did test the safety switches for continuity as Tom mentioned?

But back to the question, I've had good luck with whirlpool, but you know what they say about opinions...
    I do think I would stay away from a known discontinued model. good luck
    The old dryer was at least 15 years old. I was leaning toward the Frigidaire, here is the link comparing the old and new models. Product Comparison[]=FASE7074LW&skus[]=FASE7074NW

and the one I am looking at does have a SS drum

May 23, 2013, 06:34 AM
    Sorry that link did not work. Product Comparison[]=FASE7074LW&skus[]=FASE7074NW

May 23, 2013, 06:37 AM
    Here is the first part of the link

Appliances - Home and Kitchen Appliances | AJ Madison

May 23, 2013, 06:39 AM
    www . Ajmadison . Com / product / compare / ?skus[]=FASE7074LW&skus[]=FASE7074NW
    sorry I had to take put spaces in to send to you
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2013, 07:13 AM
    The $160 mail in rebate with the GE sounds good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gex9868jq0 Whirpool Gold with Senseon Dryer [ 0 Answers ]

If I set the auto cycle for heavy load, it indicates 63 min and will run until it gets to 30 min and will continue to run with the timer at 30 min. it takes a long time before it starts counting down again. The heat cycles on and off during the complete cycle. If I use other settings, the initial...

Whirlpool senseon GEX9868jQ0 dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool senseon GEX9868jQ0 dryer that will not come on. I bought it used and initially the "Normal" and "Heavy Duty" buttons did not light and the settings did not work. All other settings worked fine for a month or so. Then it would not come on one day. At one point all the LEDs on the...

View more questions Search