Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starry_Jenn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2013, 07:04 PM
    Short Story: Sex, HUGE Pain, No Blood, Am I Miscarrying?
    I'm 6.5 - 8 weeks pregnant. Miscarried twice last year.

Had sex today, followed by HUGE lower abdominal pains (mostly center & left but also right). 15 minutes later its EXCRUCIATINGLY painful, I turn ice cold followed by breaking out a sweat.

It felt like there was something inside of me that was trying to push out but not like having to go to the bathroom, but this was different. I've heard horror stories of premature birth but not this early, so I reached down to check but instead felt a very swollen cervix, but I do have a normally low cervix.

After dragging myself off the bathroom floor when pain was at 10 into a warm tub, it dropped to a bearable 6, but after laying down in bed again the pain went to a 8 or 9 until I took a small advil, small ativan, and small smoke of weed it is now down to a 3. (Haters need not reply, for some people weed is an alternative medicine and my doctor actually said it is OK for pain and nausea once and a while while pregnant, and I never would have taken the other 2 painkillers either but had no other option for the pain as it increased).

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning but in the meantime unfortunately the hospitals here usually turn away most of these cases so I am not sure what to do tonight.

----QUESTIONS:----

1. Am I miscarrying, even though the pain is not nearly as bad anymore as originally?
    2. Why am I not bleeding yet?
    3. Is it common/normal for a low cervix to swell and pain during sex while pregnant, and can this cause miscarriage?

Thank you so much for your support and answers and I look forward to giving back to the community with some support for other's questions in the forums too.

May 20, 2013, 07:08 PM
    I will add that it has now been a total of 6 hours since the pain started, and about the last 5 hours of that the pain has gone down to a 3 with the pain aids, heating pads and lots of water.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 20, 2013, 07:10 PM
    1. Am I miscarrying, even though the pain is not nearly as bad anymore as originally?
    It's possible, but without doing an ultrasound, or an exam, there's no way to tell you what's going on. No one, not even a doctor, can diagnose online.

2. Why am I not bleeding yet?
    No idea. Bleeding doesn't always indicate miscarriage. I had a miscarriage, the baby died in utero 2 weeks before I started to bleed.

3. Is it common/normal for a low cervix to swell and pain during sex while pregnant, and can this cause miscarriage?
    Normal is a vague term. What's normal for you, may not be normal for someone else. You doctor would be the one to ask about this. A normal pregnancy should not be affected by sex.

I won't mention the weed, since it sounds like you already know that this is a bad idea, otherwise you wouldn't have felt the need for your little speech about it. But, I do have to say, I don't know a single doctor that would tell a patient that smoking weed during pregnancy, is okay. So you're either lying, you have a horrible doctor, or you're trying to justify your actions. Just my opinion, which I'm allowed to have, just as much as you have a right to have your own.

Good luck with that.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 20, 2013, 07:10 PM
    You do know that Advil and weed are not healthy during pregnancy right? Tylenol and Lortab/Vicodin are the preferred pain medications during pregnancy.

Are you miscarrying? Sadly I cannot answer that over the internet. As for the pain, sex manipulates the cervix, you manipulated your cervix. Manipulation of the cervix causes a hormone called oxytocin to be released. Oxytocin is the hormone responsible for starting labor. Stop checking your cervix.

May 20, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Thank you every for your replies I appreciate both your advice and opinions I will follow up with my doctor about the advil I never thought of that and honestly this doctor did tell me weed is OK during pregnancy only if you really need it, he even recommended using weed to increase a pregnant woman's appetite, but I only did it for the pain. Anyway thank you again everyone it helps to hear other stories to have sme reassurance too since I won't have any answers until the morning
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 20, 2013, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry_Jenn View Post
    Thank you every for your replies I appreciate both your advice and opinions I will follow up with my doctor about the advil I never thought of that and honestly this doctor did tell me weed is ok during pregnancy only if you really need it, he even recommended using weed to increase a pregnant woman's appetite, but I only did it for the pain. Anyways thank you again everyone it helps to hear other stories to have sme reassurance too since I won't have any answers until the morning
    Good luck, and please keep us posted.

I do have to ask, the doctor you're seeing, is he/she an OBGYN, or just a family doctor? Many family doctors don't know a lot about pregnancy, what's okay, what's not. If your doctor is an OBGYN, I would highly recommend you finding a new doctor, since this one doesn't seem to be giving you good advice. Again, just my opinion.
    Expert

May 20, 2013, 07:26 PM
    There is a current initiative in pediatrics called neonatal abstinence syndrome. Depending on your location, if you test positive for any drug, including marijuana, the baby's meconium gets tested. If the baby is positive for drugs, it gets reported to DCFS and you risk having the child taken away from you.

Please stop smoking weed for the health and safety of you and your baby. I am an obstetrical nurse and, unfortunately, am responsible for reporting these issues whether I agree with it or not. So I'm not going to give you a speech, just giving you knowledge. Knowledge is power.

As far as pain relievers, you can take Tylenol, Extra Strength Tylenol and Tylenol PM. These are the only over-the-counter pain medications you can safely take during pregnancy. Any others are by prescription only.

May 20, 2013, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Good luck, and please keep us posted.

I do have to ask, the doctor you're seeing, is he/she an OBGYN, or just a family doctor? Many family doctors don't know a lot about pregnancy, what's okay, what's not. If your doctor is an OBGYN, I would highly recommend you finding a new doctor, since this one doesn't seem to be giving you good advice. Again, just my opinion.
    Not a gyn. Is it better to just go to a gyn for pregnancy anyway?

He is a family doctor but part of the pcn network so there's many doctors in the same office and also nurse practitioners there on hand, I'm sure one of them will help refer me to finding another doctor there unless this same doctor refers me outside to an OB/GYN anyway.

I just re read J_9 your 1st message, its giving me the chills once I read that also ativan is a no-no for pregnancy, he didn't tell me that either. Good thing today was the only time I've taken it during my pregnancy. He actually told me that Advil is safer than Tylenol because tylenol can damage your liver and the toxins could be passed on to the fetus. But he didn't tell me anything bad about Advil, I am going to ask (though I do believe you). And wow, yes I only checked cervix the one time I thought better not to mess with anything more just get in the bath, but that definitely makes sense now because it sure got as painful as labour pains can be arrgh

I will keep you updated. Are you guys in US or Canada? These are Canadian doctors and nurses I am referencing to.
    Expert

May 20, 2013, 07:57 PM
    Alty is in Canada, I am in the US.

Yes, it is better to see an OB/GYN, not all family doctors deliver, but some do. OB/GYN's specialize in women's health and pregnancy and delivery. That's ALL they do.

Ativan is safe later in pregnancy, but not this early on. I've given it to some of my patients, but they are usually over 26 weeks pregnant.

I'm glad you didn't take our posts as criticism. Many people don't. Alty and I are just trying to help you understand and have a safe and happy, healthy pregnancy.

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

May 20, 2013, 08:10 PM
    Nobody should take your words the wrong way we should all be appreciative look how lucky we are to be able to reach out to a fellow woman somewhere else in the world who is giving away their time and advice for free, it is obvious it is because they just want to help. I always appreciate all words both good and helpful criticism because it helps me look at the bigger picture.
    I'm going to ask for a referral for an ob/gyn AND a new family doctor for after... I'll keep you guys updated tomorrow what happens. I'm really tempted to confront the current doctor about the ativan, weed and advil just to see what he says if he suddenly aggres with me or sticks with what he said was okay many times before. I'm going to ask for an ultrasound tomorrow too for sure blood tests etc, make sure everything is okay after today hopefully.
    Expert

May 20, 2013, 08:17 PM
    I don't think it's worth confronting him, I'd just ask for that referral.

Advil, for example, contains ibuprofen, the same ingredient in Motrin and is not safe during pregnancy at all. It is safe, though, after delivery even if breast feeding. Ativan is an anti-anxiety type of medication, not a pain reliever. We don't need to go on about the weed, I'm not as concerned about that. I just wanted to point out the new initiative and that you are placing your baby at risk for being taken away from you.

You seem like a very caring and wonderful person. I wish you all the luck in the world. Please, Please keep me posted on how you are doing.

Remember though, don't check your cervix, only a trained professional should be doing that. You can cause more harm than good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain/Burning/Blood and Blisters after Rough Sex [ 0 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been each others only sexual partners ever. The last time we had sex, it was 2 days in a row, and the first day it was rougher than usual and lasted a long time. The next day my "womenhood" started to hurt when touched ever so lightly, and when I sit and walk. I had a tiny...

Pain and brown blood during sex [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for just over a year now and starting about 6 months ago, every so often during sex I will bleed, but it's old, brown period-looking blood. It's not because of lack of lubrication, it's like he bumps my uterus or something because I can feel when he does and it...

Extreme! Pain after sex . (short ?) [ 4 Answers ]

I have experienced 3 times sharp pains in my lower abdomen, after sex, (once during sex) the pain feel like a stabbing cramp in the vaginal and lower abdomen region. The pain is 100% unbearable, I was in tears. Yesterday the pain lasted about 1 hour very intense after I had sex. And slowly...

Huge blood clots [ 2 Answers ]

My period has suddenly become irregular and I recently went to the bathroom and hugh blood clots

Pain during intercourse with sex toys on my partner when he enters. Pikish blood? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I had some sex toys and he had it on when we were having sex, I felt pain and more pressure than usual... I had also had a D&C misccariage 8 months ago.. could my insides be more easier to torn..

View more questions Search