Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JakeWall Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2013, 06:05 PM
    Interview for a Job!!
    Hi Everyone!

So, I received a call last Friday about a job I applied for. I originally missed the call and they left me a message. The message said "Hi Jake, this is Sarah, you applied for our opening and we are definitely interested in your resume, etc"

I immediately called back and spoke with Sarah. During our conversation, she repeated what she said in her phone message "we are definitely interested in your resume, etc" She said that they wanted to interview me the next week and asked when I was available. I told her my schedule is flexible. Sarah asked if Tuesday were OK and I said yes, of course. She was very enthusiastic and was telling me that this is the first round of interviews and the second would be the finalist (something of that sort she said). I didn't solicit that information from her.

I don't want to read too much into this, although I've never experienced this before, my question is do they normally give that kind of information and rush you in for an interview like that? Also, what does this indicate that they are strongly considering me and just want to get a feel of me? Thanks!

Jake
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2013, 06:10 PM
    First, when did you apply for the job? I don't think they are rushing you in for an interview. I wouldn't put too much thinking into how strongly they are interested. The fact that they called you shows an interest. The key would be whether they call you in for a secondary interview.

P.S. and please don't post multiple copies of the same question.

May 20, 2013, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, when did you apply for the job? I don't think they are rushing you in for an interview. I wouldn't put too much thinking into how strongly they are interested. The fact that they called you shows an interest. The key would be whether they call you in for a secondary interview.

P.S. and please don't post multiple copies of the same question.
    I applied on the 10th and they called on the 17th.

May 20, 2013, 06:16 PM
    Still not a rush. Companies get lots of resumes these days though and it does take time to go through them. So it's a good sign.

May 22, 2013, 09:49 AM
    Still not a rush. Companies get lots of resumes these days though and it does take time to go through them. So its a good sign.
    I interviewed yesterday and it went pretty good. The interview was a little over an over hour but it was more of a conversation that an interview. They keep saying how much they liked my background and skill sets and really didn't ask much about it. They also asked it it would be a problem for me that I would be doing some of the same duties as I am at my current job and they talked a lot about the position and gave details about. Before they asked the question (what you know about theorg?), they said we already know you did your homework, etc.

The most notable part for me was when they casually mentioned an issue they were having and I offered a solution. They really liked the idea. We had good chemistry, etc. Like I said, it more like friends talking about fun stuff than an interview. At the end they told me that there are other candidates and not to worry if I don't hear back this week from them. He said that they will contact me mid next week if I make it to the second round, etc.

May 22, 2013, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWall View Post
    The most notable part for me was when they casually mentioned an issue they were having and I offered a solution. They really liked the idea. .
    That is a great opportunity in an interview. In interviews I have been on, I will always ask the question; "what will I be doing on a normal day". Then I take that and show examples of how I've done similar thing in my career. If the interviewer talks about specific problems or challenges they have faced, I will try to offer a solution or examples of how I've dealt with it in the past.

Good luck.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 22, 2013, 11:00 AM
    Like I said, it more like friends talking about fun stuff than an interview.
    Best wishes! My best interview was with Catholic Charities. The head counselor was also from New York State and also near Lake Ontario, so we spent almost the entire interview discussing regional foods, fun things to do in the state, and small town life. By the way, I got the job (an internship).

May 22, 2013, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Best wishes! My best interview was with Catholic Charities. The head counselor was also from New York State and also near Lake Ontario, so we spent almost the entire interview discussing regional foods, fun things to do in the state, and small town life. By the way, I got the job (an internship).
    Thanks! I just noticed that they took the job posting down... dont know what that means...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
    Thanks! I just noticed that they took the job posting down...dont know what that means....
    It probably means they have interviewed all of the applicants they wanted to, those in the first round. Now comes the second round.

May 23, 2013, 03:07 AM
    It means that they feel that one or more of the candidates they have already interviewed will be a viable candidate ans they don't want to see anymore.

May 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
    It means that they feel that one or more of the candidates they have already interviewed will be a viable candidate ans they don't want to see anymore.

I thought this message from them was strange. It's a reply to my thank you note. It was from one of the interviewers who currently holds the position I'm applying for but here it is below (he copied the senior HR person as well):

I'm somewhat embarrassed that it took me three days to respond to your kind note, Jake. Things get crazy sometimes when you have a small staff :-)

It was a pleasure meeting you as well. While I don't know what you'll be hearing from Will and Kim in the days to come, I certainly enjoyed talking with you, and I'll hope to see you again soon!

Regards,
    Mike

May 25, 2013, 10:02 AM
    Doesn't look strange to me. He's acknowledging your follow-up e-mail and letting you know that any further decision is not his.

May 25, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Doesn't look strange to me. He's acknowledging your follow-up e-mail and letting you know that any further decision is not his.

Yeah, I suppose it is hard to know until they say you have it or not
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 25, 2013, 10:25 AM
    He replied (positive), was chatty (positive), copied to others (positive), and sounded honestly glad to have met/interviewed you (positive).

Let us know if you go for a second interview and/or get the job.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 25, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Here's how I'm seeing this small company:
    They need someone soon. The thank you note person who is leaving or being promoted will probably train someone for a while.
    They got a LOT of resumes. They barely had time to go over them and make a short list. Then interviews take a lot of time. Now it's a holiday weekend.
    You have been very fortunate to get a response. Not fortunate to be liked as a candidate - that's all from your skill.
    From having been in both positions, I know that usually there is precious little time to spend on applicants during the decision period.
    BUT they don't want to find out that the person they choose has gone elsewhere! So they are eager to keep in touch...
    Nothing weird about any of it.
    Good luck. Don't panic.

May 25, 2013, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Here's how I'm seeing this small company:
    They need someone soon. The thank you note person who is leaving or being promoted will probably train someone for a while.
    They got a LOT of resumes. They barely had time to go over them and make a short list. Then interviews take a lot of time. Now it's a holiday weekend.
    You have been very fortunate to get a response. Not fortunate to be liked as a candidate - that's all from your skill.
    From having been in both positions, I know that usually there is precious little time to spend on applicants during the decision period.
    BUT they don't want to find out that the person they choose has gone elsewhere! So they are eager to keep in touch...
    Nothing weird about any of it.
    Good luck. Don't panic.
    Thank you. You make an interesting point. I'm not sure if you are implying that I may eventually get the position but you are right in terms of them telling me that he would train me and that they had a few more candidates to interview but not to panic if I didn't hear from them last week because it's the holidays, etc and that they will call me mid next week if I make it to the second and final round.

May 25, 2013, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    He replied (positive), was chatty (positive), copied to others (positive), and sounded honestly glad to have met/interviewed you (positive).

Let us know if you go for a second interview and/or get the job.
    Yes, while he isn't the hiring authority it's still a positive sign like you said and I will certainly let you know how everything turns out.

May 28, 2013, 10:21 AM
    I was called in for a 2nd and final interview
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 28, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Now I'm REALLY curious what the job is (but don't want to jinx you)!

May 28, 2013, 01:21 PM
    We've got our fingers crossed for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Job interview [ 1 Answers ]

What do I writer in an email for a interview

Job Interview [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I applied for a position in a company to work abroad. My application interested them and they send me a questionnaire with one question which is: " In what kind of environment are you most comfortable?" Frankly I have no idea of what theyare thinking when they ask a question like that. ...

Job interview [ 1 Answers ]

What are considered as essential qualities of an employer and employee?

Job Interview [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently retired from the Navy after 30 years. Monday I have a job interview with a defense contractor that specializes in program development that various companies use. I have a friend that works for the company and he told me that one of their standard questions is to give them 2-3...

Job Interview [ 1 Answers ]

I have a job interview coming up and I was wondering what kind of outfit should I wear? Should I wear a skirt or blue jeans or what? Thanks

View more questions Search