Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shazney11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2013, 06:20 AM
    German passport
    I was born in Munster in Germany. I lived there for 4 years before we left for England. My father was in the armed forces. Am I entitled to a German passport ?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

May 20, 2013, 06:39 AM
    A child can attain German citizenship by being born in Germany even if neither parent is German. However this only applies to children born on or after 1 January 2000.

A further condition is that one parent has been legally resident in Germany for eight years and has a right of unlimited residence or for three years an unlimited residence permit. Children who become German citizens in this way must however decide between the age of 18 and 23 whether they want to retain German citizenship or the citizenship of their parents.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/Infoservice/FAQ/Staatsangehoerigkeit/03-GeburtInD.html?nn=479790
    Shazney11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2013, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxesforaliens View Post
    A child can attain German citizenship by being born in Germany even if neither parent is German. However this only applies to children born on or after 1 January 2000.

A further condition is that one parent has been legally resident in Germany for eight years and has a right of unlimited residence or for three years an unlimited residence permit. Children who become German citizens in this way must however decide between the age of 18 and 23 whether they want to retain German citizenship or the citizenship of their parents.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/Infoservice/FAQ/Staatsangehoerigkeit/03-GeburtInD.html?nn=479790
    Thank you very much for your answer, very much appreciated. As I was born in 1970 it doesn't help me but thanks anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents were German Jews - Can I get a German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I know a few years ago there was a program that allowed children and grandchildren of Holocaust-era German Jews to apply and receive German passports. I cannot find any information about this on the internet, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My father's parents both...

I was born in Germany to a German mother, do I qualify for a German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Germany in 1991 on a German mother and a British father. I've lived in the UK since I was a couple months old and I am now 19, because we lived in the UK my mother didn't want things to get complicated with aplying for passports so she only let me have a British one instead of a...

Can I apply for a german passport when married to a german and living in south africa [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm South African and would like to know if I will be able to apply for a German passport after getting married to my fiancé which of cause is a German himself. We will however live in South Africa after getting married. Our marriage will also take place in South Africa.

I'm german but live in england my husband is turkish can he get a german passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm german living in england My husband is turkish can he get a german passport Because I'm german??

Where can I get proofs that my grandfather was German --> Obtaining German Passport [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there, My Grandfather was German and he escaped to New York from the Nazis around 1940. He was naturalized as a US Citizen in Feb 1945 so technically he should lose his German Citizenship, however because of Nirenberg laws he's entitled to regain his German Citizenship, hence my father and...

View more questions Search