Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PatQcCa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Hot neutral reverse : small camping trailer
    Hi!

It's my first time!! Sorry for my bad English, I am from Québec, Canada...

I a new owner of a small camping trailer... only 7 years old, very good condition until this MOVE...

In my tool box I found a plugin tester, the one with three lights... never use it before, why today, to be honnest, I don't know!!

The result: hot neutral reverse... this afternoon, I've check all the outlet... exterior, and the 3 inside. Everything looks o.k... black wire hot on the right, neutral on the left, ground wire to the green bolt...

It could be one of the three ceilling lamp?

It Could be the electrical panel?

Is it dangerous for the refrigerator the biggest electricity consumer ?

Is it dangerous for me?

Wainting for your comments

Thanks a lot

Pat
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Lets start with how you are getting power to your camper. Test the outlet you are using to run power to the camper to insure it is OK. It could be the source of your reversal. Test your testor all over your home to be sure the tester isn't the problem. Get back to us with what you find.
    PatQcCa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Thank you Ballengerb!

The test on the house outlets was made 2 days ago... the 3 outlets in the camping trailer to + the electrical box.

I have forgoten one thing... the electrical cable (extension) between the outdoor house outlet and the camping trailer!! This cable is hot neutral reverse!

Are you laughing at me ballengerb1!!

Thanks again
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Not laughing since things like this happen to me too. A newer extension cord and a newer outlet will have two different sized prongs that will prevent this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlet Question: Open Neutral - Hot / Grnd Reverse? [ 6 Answers ]

This past weekend two outlets and one light fixture went dead in my basement after turning on my stereo. I checked the breakers and none had tripped, so I re-set the one in question just to be sure. Still dead. I haven't been in this house too long, so I thought to check for another breaker...

Hot neutral wire [ 3 Answers ]

Half of the house, has no power. I checked everything I thought it was, but not having any luck. I checked boxes where the power is not working for loose neutral, nothing. I have checked for lost leg in panel, nothing. I have checked for loose neutrals in panel, nothing. I have also unplugged...

Hot neutral Wires [ 6 Answers ]

The wife turned on the toaster this morning and the thing quit and the receptacle was melted a bit,the breaker never tripped, fridges outlet does not work along with two in the living room. I replaced the melted receptacle. Still nothing on all four outlets the NEUTRAL reads 120 volts with ground...

Hot Ground/ Reverse [ 5 Answers ]

I have been struggling with an electrical problem for a while now: I spliced into an electrical line in the basement to create an outlet. I wired everything perfect using experience and a home depot manual. I kept getting a hot/ground reverse after purchasing several testers. Then it...

Hot neutral [ 6 Answers ]

Very confused as to way the breaker does not trip if I have a hot neutral. We had a heated water bowl for the houses and the water beencame live. 110 to the neutral.So way did the breaker not trip. Stan

View more questions Search