Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bandgeek101 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2013, 07:17 PM
    I'm Not Going to Prom
    I'm a junior in high school so this was my first year I could go to prom. No one ended up asking me to prom, but I wasn't that upset about that because 1) I understood I could go to prom with friends and still have a good time and 2) I was 99% sure I wouldn't get asked anyway. However, turns out all of my friends decided to go with other groups so I couldn't go to prom even if I wanted to, and that really hurt me; it made me feel like a nobody with no friends. And what made me most frustrated was the fact that even though my friends knew I wasn't going to prom they would always talk about it during Lunch at school, and it felt like they were rubbing it in my face (by the way I had asked them if I could go with any of their groups and all of them said their groups were too full). Now it's prom night and every time I go on Facebook I see a prom picture and it makes me feel like a complete loser.
    Am I overreacting? Is prom really that big of a deal?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 18, 2013, 07:24 PM
    Prom is just one night of your life. Right now it may seem like a huge deal, because at your age that's really the biggest thing that's happened. But in the long run it's nothing. Heck, I barely remember my prom, I can't even tell you what color my dress was, or the name of the boy I went with.

The thing is, you chose not to go. You could have found another group, or tried to start your own, but you chose not to. It's not fair for you to be mad because others decided to go.

So be the bigger person, comment on their fb pictures (nice comments), listen when they talk about prom, but don't be jealous or upset. Really, in the grand scheme of things, prom is not important. Graduating college is a big deal, starting a career is a big deal, meeting the love of your life is a big deal, getting married is a big deal, having your first child is a big deal. Prom doesn't even come close in comparison.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

May 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
    Oops! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Alty again.

I have nothing to add. That is great advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Prom movie where teen ghosts from 60s reappear on prom night [ 1 Answers ]

It seemed like these teens had died in a car accident and all reappear on prom night and finally realize they are ghosts. Can't remember name. It might be Suzie Q, but doesn't quite sound like it.

Prom [ 7 Answers ]

So the valedictorian of my school asked me to prom. He and I are friendly... I might be the only girl that is really good friends with him. We are co-editors-in-chief for our newspaper and we're involved in a lot of activities outside of school together. The problem is... he doesn't have many...

Oh my! Prom! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is tiffany and I am in my last year of high school (grade 12) and my prom is in may! :) I am going with my boyfriend hopefully, and there is one problem, I have to hair picked out but now I need to find a dress! I have a floor length dess but I ave already worn it to a event at my...

I might be going to prom! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am going to prom with my grade 12 boyfriend, I have the dress (its navy blue almost black, it is floor length and body hugging, the front is halter and then the back goes to tank top (doesnt show a lot of chest)). My shoes are also black. I need help with my hair, it is long, thick and...

Who to ask to prom [ 1 Answers ]

I like two guys but I don't know which 1 to ask to the prom. Guy number 1 has a girlfriend and guy number 2 goes to another school, and he seems not to be up to my standards. But the thing is I don't who to ask to accompany me... do you think I should ask guy number 1 although he has a...

View more questions Search