Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsboring Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Cable Sizing
    I need to run a 30 amp, 120 volt service about 180 feet from my breaker box in the house to my camper at the far end of my yard. I have been using a 10/2 UF cable as a temporary service, but do notice some voltage drop when running multiple appliances at the same time. What size and type cable do I need to carry the amps and distance? I have a 2" conduit buried in the yard to run the cable through. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
    JoeDunn Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

May 18, 2013, 05:28 PM
    tsboring,

A camper needing 120V / 30A @ 180' using UF 10/2... for a temp feeder, tells me you never pulled a permit nor had any work inspected.

Your local AHJ would have never approved this work. Assuming your load requirements were correct... the best you could have hoped for would have been 120V / 9A @ 180' with a max 3% voltage drop at the camper(117V).

This a very basic/rough calculation and there are other factor that would have to be considered before correct wiring sizing could be suggested. #10 will carry 120/30A but not at that distance. At approx 50' you would have exceeded NEC's 3% rule.

You stated that 2" conduit was installed... what type and how deep? Was this inspected?

Without knowing the load requirements everything in your camper esp those that are consider continuous, I doubt that anyone will commit to giving you any advise other than see your local AHJ or contact a EC.

Joe
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 18, 2013, 05:32 PM
    To get 120 Vac with 30 amp across 180' you would need four #4 copper conductors.

A conduit trade size of 2 will be fine.
    tsboring Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2013, 10:52 AM
    Why four conductors on a 120vac line? Line, common and ground makes 3
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 19, 2013, 02:34 PM
    Because NEC 551.46(B) limits the length of the connecting cord to 25' for a side connection to an RV. And 30' to a rear connecting point.

That means you have to connect the supply feed to your RV to a connecting panel near the RV. NEC requires a 4 wire connection between a remote panelboard and the main panelboard. At the remote panelboard, Neutral and Ground must be isolated.
    JoeDunn Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

May 19, 2013, 09:21 PM
    Donf,

Stop miss quoting the NEC!!

Where do you see the phrase "limits the length of the connecting cord to 25' for a side connection to an RV. And 30' to a rear connecting point."??

Quoting from the National Electrical Code Article 551.46(B) (3), (4)

"The cord exposed usable length, measured to the point of entry on the vehicle exterior, shall be a minimum of 7.5 m (25 ft) where the point of entrance is at the side of the vehicle or shall be a minimum 9.0 m (30 ft) where the point of entrance is at the rear of the vehicle."

As I stated before... you are not helping this guy one bit. It's clear that from everything he done so far that he is in over his head and has and is attempting to circumvent local AHJ.

What if he follows your advice... run #4's... make everything hot... and someone get electrocuted because his work was not inspected. Then what.

STOP GIVING RECKLESS, UNQUALIFIED, AND UNLICENSED ELECTRICAL ADVISE!!

If tsboring needs assistance... his local AHJ will provide him with local quidelines for a properly installing:

1) Underground feeder or branch ckt (incld protected equipment ground)
    2) Isolation transformer(if required by local code)
    3) Conduit at proper depth/protected riser to the pedestal stand and/or main panel
    4) Proper and protected stand area
    5) Inspection of the camper's main panel, branch ckts, camper grounding, GFI's at a kitchen sink area/bathrm.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cable sizing calculation formula [ 7 Answers ]

How can I calculate the cable size for given load current? With out using any tables or charts.

Earth wire cable sizing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , Im mike, 29 years old, I live in Mauritius. I would like to know how to size my eathing wire since my supply wire is 6 mm2. Thanks

Cable sizing for a 110' run @ 50 amps [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing an outdoor spa approx 110' from the main disconnect. I've installed 11/4" pvc conduit to a jct box approx half way to the 50Amp gfi disconnect. I'd like to know what size power cable to use before I finish the conduit. I have enough #4 for 4 runs to the jct box. From there I'd like...

Sec cable sizing [ 1 Answers ]

I am upgrading from a 100 to 200 amp service and will be upgrading my sec cable to a 2/0 or 3/0 thhn. Ive been told that nec permits downsizing of the neutral wire. Is this true and if so what size is acceptable?

Shower cable sizing [ 1 Answers ]

If I have a steam room shower, that is run off water, but I need an electric cable to feed the steamer and the light inside, the shower is 3KW and in an en suite bathroom. What size cable and what size fuse would I need??

View more questions Search