Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mazdalover0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2013, 05:16 PM
    Can romex be used when wiring a house in nyc?
    I need to run wire from circuit box in a basement to attic. Can I use romex according to nyc electrical code?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 17, 2013, 05:48 PM
    Last I looked, NYC required BX
    JoeDunn Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

May 17, 2013, 05:53 PM
    NYC approved the use of Romex back around 2008.

As long as the term "house" refers to a wood frame structure you should be OK. If this was a high rise condo or apt building the use of Romex might be restricted. Under that case... best to check with building dept/code enforcement.

May 17, 2013, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDunn View Post
    NYC approved the use of Romex back around 2008.

As long as the term "house" refers to a wood frame structure you should be ok. If this was a high rise condo or apt building the use of Romex might be restricted. Under that case ... best to check with building dept/code enforcement.
    Thanks for the correction. Last time I looked before that.

May 17, 2013, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Thanks for the correction. Last time I looked before that.
    Scott,

Are you an EC in NYC or else where?

Just wondering why you are not keeping up with code requirements in your trade and giving wrong advice.

Sites like this can be helpful but it's the responsibility of each person requesting help to check with their local code official before proceeding with any project.

Codes, inspections and enforcement are there for a reason!

Joe

May 17, 2013, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDunn View Post
    Scott,

Are you an EC in NYC or else where?

Just wondering why you are not keeping up with code requirements in your trade and giving wrong advice.

Sites like this can be helpful but it's the responsibilty of each person requesting help to check with their local code official before proceeding with any project.

Codes, inspections and enforcement are there for a reason!

Joe
    I used to live in NYC and did my own work on my house. I researched the code at the time and remembered very specifically, that NYC was adamant against the use of Romex. But you are right I probably shouldn't have answered this question.

May 17, 2013, 06:52 PM
    Madzalover,

Please checkout this NYC Electrical Code Reference:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/download...rical_code.pdf

Please see page 44, ARTICLE 334 Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM, NMC, and NMS.

If you have any question, contact NYC Building Dept directly

Department of Buildings

Joe
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 17, 2013, 07:41 PM
    Obvious the Electricians Union wrote this one. That's why it costs $100 to have an outlet replaced. I did some local (Atlanta) work for a woman who just relocated from some place in CT. She had to swear the outlet and switch she was buying would be installed by a licensed electrician.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Romex Simpull be used with nyc code directly under vinyl siding? [ 1 Answers ]

2 family house. Please give me the answer if you know. Also I was told there is a code but can't find it and if I do not sure what I will find if I will understand what it means. Code 344.12 B 4 I do not know electrical.

Romex wiring running up touching stove pipe to attic [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a contractor who is running white romex wiring up from the basement into the attic (about 8 different wires not tied togeather) but he is running them up the space occupied by the "stove pipe" that carries the (hot) exhaust up from the homes gas heat to the outside. I am concerned this...

Allowable # of romex in a 2" romex connector [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know the maxamum allowable romex wires can be secured in a 2" romex connector. Thanks

Changing the deed to a house in NYC [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, new here so forgive me if I post this in the wrong forum. My question is - how do I go about changing the deed to a house in New York City? My parents names are on the deed currently, but my father passed away last August. I live in the house with my mother, she's 73 years old and disabled. ...

View more questions Search