Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindafranklin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2013, 01:07 PM
    My fiancée is in israel but he say he can't leave israel until he pays 10 percentage
    He called me and ask if I had a credit card that he can put money on and once I get it withdraw the 10 percentage that he needs to pay so he can come home. But what he's asking I can't understand why he can't pay cash or get cashiers check to pay the 10 percent of $750,000.00 he inherited
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 17, 2013, 01:09 PM
    Is this someone that you met online? Do you actually know him and have you met him in person already?

May 17, 2013, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    is this someone that you met online? Do you actually know him and have you met him in person already?
    Yes he's someone I met online and no I've never met him and no I don't actually know him but we've been communicating over the phone. He actually was staying in baltimore Maryland.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 17, 2013, 01:16 PM
    Smells like a complete SCAM.
    Just a variety of advanced fee fraud, or 419 scam.
    Entomology Expert

May 17, 2013, 01:17 PM
    I think you are being scammed. This is a typical scammer tactic to claim you are stuck somewhere and need X amount of money in order to pay fees to leave.

Can you verify for a fact, without any doubt at all, that he really was living in Baltimore?

I would not send any money.

May 17, 2013, 01:24 PM
    i think you are being scammed. This is a typical scammer tactic to claim you are stuck somewhere and need x amount of money in order to pay fees to leave.

Can you verify for a fact, without any doubt at all, that he really was living in baltimore?

I would not send any money.
    The thing is he's not asking me for any money he was trying to send me $30,000 by putting it on 3 of my prepaid cards before leaving israel. But he told me he inherited money from his dad and they want him to pay the tax through a credit card but I told him that credit cards that we apply for you get money off it not adding money to it. I don't understand that he can't pay them cash or open an account at 1 of the banks there and pay them with a cashiers check
    Entomology Expert

May 17, 2013, 01:28 PM
    I don't know... still sounds wrong to me.

May 17, 2013, 01:36 PM
    i don't know....still sounds wrong to me.
    Thanks, I appreciate your info. I want to believe him that he's telling me the truth but doing it cautiously cause I don't want to get burnt. I'm praying that god would shed light on this situation because I've become attached to him
    Entomology Expert

May 17, 2013, 01:40 PM
    Honestly, there are scams that run like this... he claims to have money, needs to have some sent to him to release it or pay fees or whatever... if you send it, he will need more for something else... but don't worry, you will get it back because look at this inheritance he has!

You see how that works? It's sad that some people are like that but it is a fact of life. You are questioning why he would need to do it this way because it doesn't make sense to you so deep down, you also realize this could be a scam.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 17, 2013, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lindafranklin View Post
    thanks, i appreciate your info. I want to believe him that he's telling me the truth but doing it cautiously cause i don't want to get burnt. I'm praying that god would shed light on this situation because i've become attached to him
    This is a reverse scam. He gets your credit card numbers, or bank acct numbers, claiming to put money in, and milks you dry that way. You end up the loser. Sorry.

May 17, 2013, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    this is a reverse scam. He gets your credit card numbers, or bank acct numbers, claiming to put money in, and milks you dry that way. You end up the loser. Sorry.
    Thanks
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

May 17, 2013, 02:30 PM
    I agree with everyone saying it's a scam.
    There is no inheritance tax in Israel, there would only be a capital gains tax (if applicable). Taxes are withheld at source, so there would be no need to pay taxes out of pocket to get the payment.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 17, 2013, 03:37 PM
    This is most definitely a scam. Your own instincts about him having tge money reveals that.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 17, 2013, 07:08 PM
    Scam, and a very well known one at that. Don't give him a penny. Also, don't consider him your fiancé, I'd bet $750,000 that you're not the only one he's "engaged" to.

Tell him you won't do this, or send him any type of money. You'll see how quickly he no longer wants to talk to you. He's only interested as long as he thinks he can fool you into paying him money.

I'll bet that you started talking, and very very quickly he told you he loves you. He probably sent you poetry, told you all the things you wanted to hear. He also very quickly told you about the money he inherited (this is a lie) and that he wants to be with you, but can't until all his financial issues are settled. If you send the money he'll quickly start to have other issues you'll need to pay for, or medical issues he needs money for.

It's a very common scam.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 19, 2013, 12:37 PM
    The consensus is that you are being scammed.

Drop this bum and get on with your life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Israel [ 52 Answers ]

Why did they do it? Israel said " its soldiers were trying to defend themselves against armed activists." That sounds like a big fat lie.

Israel cnflict [ 7 Answers ]

What is the true story behind the israel and palestine conflict?

The Nation of Israel [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for this information, The Nation of Israel. I am doing a paper on Judaism and one of the things I have to look for is The Nation of Israel. Most everything I find is on the Sects of Judaism. Can any one give me any idea's or help?

Why support Israel? [ 190 Answers ]

Why does the USA support Israel? What do we as a county gain from supporting them, when the negatives are so obvious and numerous? Is it political, moral, financial, romantic? Why is the existence of a Jewish homeland still important to America?

View more questions Search