Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 16, 2013, 09:23 AM
    Changing the Executor
    The executor of a relative's will doesn't want to do anything else now that the funeral arrangements are completed. What should the heir ask him to provide in order to get the very small estate ready for probate, such as closing credit card accounts, shutting off the gas, etc.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 16, 2013, 10:43 AM
    The duty of the executor includes managing the finances of the estate as it goes through probate and ultimately passes on to the heirs - depending on the state and the value of the esate this typically means obtaining letters testamentary from the probate court, setting up an estate checking account, paying off bills and creditors of the deceased, making sure that the deceased's property is properly cared for, and working with financial institutions to retitle accounts in accordance wit the decedant's will (or per state law if there is no will) and disposing of stuff that has little or no value (old clothes, books nobody wants, etc). It's a lot of work, and if the person does not want to perform the required duties an alterate executor can alwayd be named. It requires finding a reasonable alternate person who then goes to probate court with the named executor to have the new person officially named.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 16, 2013, 10:46 AM
    In my area Surrogate's Court (which handles these matters) will assist in appointing a successor executor.
    Pest Control Expert

May 16, 2013, 10:54 AM
    Thanks, guys.

One thing I noticed from reading other threads, since the probate application has not been made, it looks like all we need is a letter from the named "executor" declining the job and someone willing to do it so we can go the court and have the new "executor" designated in the probate application.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 16, 2013, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Thanks, guys.

One thing I noticed from reading other threads, since the probate application has not been made, it looks like all we need is a letter from the named "executor" declining the job and someone willing to do it so we can go the court and have the new "executor" designated in the probate application.
    That's how we did it when my uncle died. His executor (my dad) had died, my mom was named as 2nd executor, and she declined, passing it on to me via a notarized letter (and I lived 8 blocks from him, whereas she was in another state). His estate was small enough that the lawyer didn't go through probate.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 16, 2013, 11:04 AM
    One thing the executor probably has by now is some notarized death certificates, which run around $20 each and are handled by the funeral home but given to the executor. They are needed to close accounts and obtain life insurance. But most of them will accept a copy of the notarized death certificate if submitted within 6 months of death.
    Pest Control Expert

May 16, 2013, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    One thing the executor probably has by now is some notarized death certificates, which run around $20 each and are handled by the funeral home but given to the executor. They are needed to close accounts and obtain life insurance. But most of them will accept a copy of the notarized death certificate if submitted within 6 months of death.
    The problem is that the companies are not allowed to even go far enough to mention Death Certificates. The telephone reps say they can only speak to the executor.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 16, 2013, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    The problem is that the companies are not allowed to even go far enough to mention Death Certificates. The telephone reps say they can only speak to the executor.
    I just mentioned that for when the executor is changed, to not forget to ask for them.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 16, 2013, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine
    Correct. One way I got around that when my father-in-law passed away and I was trying o help my mother-in-law (the executor) who wasn't very good about such things is that when talking with banks, investment houses, etcI would be on the phone with her on an other extension . It was a bit funny actually - in a typical conversation the rep on the phone would ask my MIL for her social security number, which she couldn't remember so she would ask me what it is. I would start to give the number and the rep would interrupt to say my MIL had to say it herself, so I would say it out loud to my MiL two digits at a time, and then she could repeat it into the phone. It was amusing as long as you can keep a sense of humor when dealing with stuff like this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing my children's last name [ 1 Answers ]

Im getting remarried and I was wondering if my children from my first marriage can add my new husbands last name also

Changing old outlets [ 14 Answers ]

We bought an older house built in the 60's. In need of a lot of repair. I need to replace outlets that have no ground. What kind of outlet can I use. Someone put in updated outlets but there is no ground wire. I was told it was the wrong outlet to use.because there is no ground to connect to it...

Changing R410 to R22 [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone taken out R410 from a R410 system and put in R22.

Changing 2- 20amps to become a subpanel [ 3 Answers ]

I am in need of a subpanel because Im adding runs for a finish attic with 2 15amps. And down the road a basment. But looking at my panel I have a air condition 2-20 amp breakers, my guess is a 240v for the ac. Well I am not using that run any more due to central air. What can I do to convert that...

Changing your dreams and what does it mean? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if there is orther who can change there dreams like me. That is why I got on here. But they say it close so why have it on Google. I need to know if there is other and what does it mean for me in the long run? And can what can I do with it?:

View more questions Search