Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XandY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
    How can I get better at job interviews?
    I am simply terrible at job interviews.

And after failing the one I had 2 weeks ago I am starting to think I will never find a minimum wage job. I keep failing because I am doing something wrong all the time. I know it but never do any better.

All of this feels extremely hopeless and feel like I will never have a future if I am not even worth min-wage or less than that and can't pass an interview.

Every time I go I end up crying at the and because I know I failed it. Have to force myself not to throw up or skip it all together.

These things make me highly anxious.

Can't even answer a simple question because I am so anxious!

Gahh.. try so hard to prepare and it's still crap.. should I even bother trying to get a job?

I might as well get pregnant and live off welfare for the rest of my life because I can't answer a simply tell me about yourself question or why I want to there.

And don't get my started on situational questions. Can't come up with anything so quickly and they have to wait minutes because some trash slew out of my mouth.. ugh I hate having to lie all the time.. even to get an interview.

I suck... ugh..
    XandY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2013, 10:18 PM
    Oh... crap I need to stop writing things when I am upset.. well I am sorry about the self-pity and all in the post above.. I get like that a lot..

Seriously though can someone please take me through the steps on interviewing.. or something I look online and still confused how stupid is that?

Heck walmart didn't want me and the coworkers said it was easy cause it was a black lady but they ended up a flop because she had to help me think of an answer for the question and I still got it wrong. Haha I seriously do suck and need help badly
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2013, 09:50 PM
    Your public library has interview question books at 650.14 or so. Check some out and then role play with a friend or relative. Practice, practice, practice.
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Apr 15, 2014, 10:07 PM
    One thing that worked really well for me to get started was to look at the job description and then - this actually became my cover sheet...

On the left, list "What you seek" and on the right "What I bring"

Keep in mind, not necessarily what you want to say, the first thing that come to mind, but, rather, what the person wants in an employee. I love to see a smile on a happy customer's face. I feel good when I'm at the convenience store and I simply open the door for the person behind me... or let the person get in front of me while driving to work... school, whatever. If it is customer service... you want to give examples and demonstrate that it makes you feel good to serve others and sometimes it is the little things that can make a person's day. That's what makes you happy - making someone another person's day a little better.

Role reversal is the best suggestion I have... put yourself in the shoes of the person that you want to get hired by. Think about the employee you would want to hire and be that person! What is it that they need in you, as an employee?

For entry level jobs, personality goes a long way. If you make others feel at ease, they will like you more, period. Eager to learn... what have you done that has made you feel good that you didn't know how to do before? Change a tire? Make a new dinner dish, from scratch? When you are in a new situation, how do you deal with it? Head on? Think of your options and go with the best one? When you are stuck with something you don't know, how do you deal with it? Think of examples, even if they are not job specific, they will show your personality, which is a lot of what you are selling from the start! You can teach skills, but you can't teach personality!

Talk about something you are good at an that you enjoy that somehow relates to the company. Speed? Whenever I go to the ATM or grocery store, I always have my card out and ready to pay when I step up to the register to save time and not annoy the people behind me. I make sure I only have 15 items or less...

Stocking? I keep all my canned foods at home faced and in order. I make sure all my baking goods are in logical order as to how often I use them. I always rotate my food at home to keep the newest in the back and the oldest in the front.

Money? I have to keep my bills faced or it bothers me. I have a jar I keep at home and whenever I buy something, I pay in bills and whatever the change is, I put in a jar at home for donating to my favorite charity...

Be personable, yet responsible, thoughtful, considerate... and eager to learn. Think of some of your hobbies that might relate to the job you want...

Good Luck!

P.S. Everyone hates interviews... and they don't get better, but you will!
    Skyrocket Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2014, 06:23 PM
    Stay positive and take time to give yourself credit. Be thank ful for the good things. Strive to be better no matter what the cost. Bad streaks only last so long and good streaks also only last so long...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Competency Interviews [ 4 Answers ]

I have applied for a higher position in my current work place, I have the qualification for the position and also the required experience,this is the 3rd interview I have applied for but cannot get the job in the bag due to the competency interview style they use. Im doing something wrong in...

Job interviews! [ 1 Answers ]

What are good questions to ask for waiters and waitress in their interview?

Moving expenses - college to first job and interviews [ 1 Answers ]

We moved from AZ to CT after my wife graduated medical school for a paid residency. Are these expenses deductible? I've heard you can only claim them when moving from JOB to JOB, not COLLEGE to JOB. Also, are the expenses involved in job searching (airfare, hotels, car rental) deductible? She...

Interviews! [ 6 Answers ]

Just wanted to share my excitement and joy with you all. I am attending 2 interviews next week for two different companies. I am one of 3 candidates to be shortlisted and make it as far as an interview. I am very nervous but excited all at the same time. So wish me luck and keep your fingers...

View more questions Search