Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2013, 04:51 PM
    If it's too hot for you, it's too hot for them.
    It's that time of year again, time to experience summer, the heat, and all the wonderful things that go with it. That means it's also time to discuss what effects the heat has on our pets.

The main concern right now is dogs left in cars on a hot day. Many people take their dogs wherever they go, they want their dogs to be with them 24/7, but it's not always a good idea. A dog left in a hot car is at risk.

Here is a list of things to look for when you see a dog in a car on a hot day. Not every situation is an emergency, and because of growing awareness many people are calling their local police station, or humane society, for every dog they see in a car. Here's a good way to know if the dog is at risk, and some good suggestions about what to do in each situation. This list was found on my local Humane society web page. http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...46471029,d.cGE

Low level no distress:
    - Panting at normal speed
    - Tongue appears a normal pink
    - Dog is bright/alert/responsive
    - Dog barking (not frantically),

May even show signs of aggression

What to do:
    - If near a store, request that owners be paged to vehicle.
    - Leave Dog in Car notice and sticker on windshield. http://www.edmontonhumanesociety.com/images/hdcopy.pdf
    - Monitor for further signs of distress.

Medium level/Early signs of imminent distress:
    - Panting quickly
    - May be drooling (slightly)
    - Tongue appears a darker pink
    - Dog is bright/responsive but may begin to be less alert, dog may begin laying on floor of vehicle
    - Dog may be trying to get fresh air through cracks in window
    - Eyes beginning to look glazed

What to do:
    - If near a store, have owners paged to their vehicle.
    - Leave Dog in Car notice and sticker on windshield.
    - Call Animal Protection if owners do not return to their vehicle within safe time frame.
    - If officers do not answer, leave detailed message including vehicle description, license plate, location of vehicle, and signs of distress.

High level/imminent distress:
    - Panting excessively (heavily and loud)
    - Excessive drooling (thick saliva)
    - Tongue appears dark pink/purple
    - Dog may have loss of bowels, bloody diarrhea may occur
    - Dog appears lethargic/non responsive or may be frantically trying to escape vehicle
    - Dog may be unsteady, staggering
    - Eyes have glazed over appearance

What to do:
    - Contact Animal Protection.
    - If you do not receive a call back within 15 minutes, or for after hours assistance, call the Police.
    - While waiting for emergency responders to arrive; If near a store, have owners paged to their vehicle.
    - Leave Dog in Car notice and sticker on windshield.

Frankly, for the last one, where the dog is in distress, I don't agree with the humane societies list on what to do. I would get the dog out (if that means breaking a window to do so, I will do so), then I will call animal protection and the police. Forget the sticker, and forget about the owner getting their dog back if I have anything to say about it. I'm more than happy to pay a fine for breaking a window if it means saving a dog, and waiting 15 minutes for the police or animal protection to show up, is way too long. If the dog is already in sever distress, it won't be alive in 15 more minutes.

Here's a video that really needs to be watched. This shows what can happen to a dog on a hot day by putting cookie dough in a car. The cookies burned.

Cars in parking lots no place for dogs in summer - YouTube

The message is, leave your pets at home, with plenty of water. There is no reason to put a dog at risk by taking him along when you run errands on a hot day.

I hope this message hits its mark.

Stay safe and have a great summer.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 15, 2013, 04:59 PM
    Not every situation is an emergency, and because of growing awareness many people are calling their local police station, or humane society, for every dog they see in a car. Not every situation is an emergency, and because of growing awareness many people are calling their local police station, or humane society, for every dog they see in a car.
    Remember, Alty, that this is a global website. Where I live every situation IS an emergency. Temps inside a vehicle can reach over 150+ F (66+ C) in a matter of 5 minutes, even with the windows open. Where I live we are told to call for EVERY pet seen in an unattended vehicle.

Where I am from it is advised to contact for assistance ANY time you see a pet in an unattended vehicle. It is also advised not to approach the animal for signs and symptoms.

I love your advice and the same should go for children as well as pets.
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2013, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Remember, Alty, that this is a global website. Where I live every situation IS an emergency. Temps inside a vehicle can reach over 150+ F (66+ C) in a matter of 5 minutes, even with the windows open. Where I live we are told to call for EVERY pet seen in an unattended vehicle.

Where I am from it is advised to contact for assistance ANY time you see a pet in an unattended vehicle. It is also advised not to approach the animal for signs and symptoms.

I love your advice and the same should go for children as well as pets.
    Very true J. Even where I live a pet can be in distress within minutes of being left in a hot car. There are the signs I posted of an animal in distress. Obviously there are different laws in different countries, even different states, and the laws of that area should be obeyed. This thread is less about laws than it is about recognizing the risks and recognizing an animal that's in distress and needs immediate intervention.

The message is to leave your dogs at home, and what to do if you see a dog in a car on a hot day. I don't completely agree with the humane society in my area about this one. Like I said, I wouldn't be waiting 15 minutes for them to call me back, or for the police to come, when the dog is already in distress. The dog wouldn't be alive by the time they arrived. But, I did post a link to the site I got the info from, so I felt I had to post their actual info, even though I don't agree with everything they posted on what to do in each situation.

I would be breaking the window and getting the dog out, not watching it die while waiting for help to come.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 15, 2013, 05:13 PM
    I totally agree with you! Our Newfie loves to go on car rides! It's hard to keep him home as he almost weighs more than me and tends to get excited when he hears the car keys. He practically pushes me down trying to get out to the car.

In our weather, that reaches 110F (43C) for a good part of the summer, he is not allowed in the car unless there are two of us. One to go shopping and one to stay with him. His time outdoors is limited as well unless there is a sprinkler and a huge tub of water available, and even then it's more limited than in winter.
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2013, 06:06 PM
    Luckily only my beagle likes the car, and even then he prefers to stay at home or wallk instead of drive. The border collie hates the car, and literally has to be picked up and placed in it. The only time he ever willingly got into the car was the day Syd and the neighbors teenager took the dogs on a 3 hour walk on a hot day (they brought water along) and then called me from Syd's school (long walk) and asked me to pick them up. Rascal saw the car and ran to it, jumped right in, and slept the entire way home. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water coming out of hot water side only cold... hot water heater is working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help bad. I am a woman writing to you whose husband has given up on the problem and will no longer work on this. He doesn't care if we have hot water cause he can take a shower at work. I cannot. It is the dead of winter here in Colorado. We had frozen pipes that burst in the wall...

No hot water (not freezing, but not hot) in shower, but sinks are hot [ 3 Answers ]

In both of our bathrooms our showers, and in the master bathroom the whirlpool tub water does not get hot. The sinks in the room are fine. Everything worked OK until we had replaced the hot water heater. I checked to make sure the hot water line was turned back on and it was, and the pipe from...

When I turn on the hot tap the water runs hot then cold hot then cold [ 0 Answers ]

When I run the hot tap, the water runs hot then cold, hot then cold. The boiler ignites when the tap is turned on but then goes off and on, off and on while the tap is running. I have a ravenheat LS80(T) combi boiler

Lukewarm hotwater on second floor (sink and shower) but other level hot hot water [ 4 Answers ]

Recently our shower (shower tub combo) with separate cold and hot taps started only giving luke warm water. The same goes for the hot water in the bathroom sink. This is only in the second floor bathroom. On the mainfloor (Kitchen and batheroom) the water is hot hot hot... in the basement...

Feeling hot hot (water) and then it is not at all hot [ 3 Answers ]

We have scalding hot water for a couple of minutes and then it cuts off . We have a state water heater model e5650dols. We set our temperature lower and reset the unit only to have it replicate the same problem. Is this due to the theromostat if so is it the lower or the upper. How do you tell??...

View more questions Search