Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ckuret Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2013, 03:39 AM
    1890 sq foot house how much to replace ac unit
    House is approx 1900 sq feet, replaced all windows cat 5 & heat resistant, dog and myself.

House gets hot, ac fan shuts off. Have replaced circuit and motor over last 2 years.

Still has problems. How much to replace unit
    JoeDunn Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

May 15, 2013, 05:56 AM
    Depending on the age of your existing system, where you live and if you're system is Central Air Only or Central Air/Heat... it has to correctly size as to SEER rating for your needs. If for example you replace your outside condenser with a newer high rated SEER but your still using and old lower rated SEER COIL you will have problems. In terms of BTU's you might need a 5 Ton unit but again... it depends on your area... too large of a unit will cool down quickly but might leave you clammy.

Depending on you specific house design... you might be better off with a two zone system. No point in cooling upstairs bedrooms during the day... or the lower levels during the overnight when you're in bed. Also... make sure your returns are working properly... if not that will add to your woes.

Bottom line... get a few estimates from some local AC companies and go from there.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2013, 06:30 PM
    Stay away from 2 zone systems unless they are also at least 2 stage. I am a FIRM believer in separate systems for each zone. Somewhat more expensive to install, but far cheaper to run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am replacing the outside unit it is carrier 410a,can I replace the outside unit onl [ 0 Answers ]

I am replacing my carrier 410 carrier outside unit only can I replace with a r22 unit

Can I replace a hunter remote unit with a hampton bay unit? [ 1 Answers ]

A Hunter fan came with the house. It runs (ran) entirely off a remote control. It is an old house and there isn't a mechanical switch. After reading all of the terrible reviews for Hunter remote control units, I purchased a Hampton Bay remote control unit. After removing the fan from the ceiling, I...

Why does my Central Air Unit (Goodman split unit) neither cool or heat my house? [ 6 Answers ]

It worked fine all summer until last few months. When I have it to cool it blows air but not cold air. Now that I want heat it blows cool air and not hot air. It took it 30 minutes to heat my 1000SF home from 64 degrees to 65 degrees. What could be the problem?

Installing a new shower unit to replace old tub unit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are trying to install a replacement shower unit that fits in the space that our one unit tub was... The old one unit bath tub had walls that went up on all sides and had to be cut up in order to remove the unit from the house. The old tub unit was installed when we...

Replace existing A/C unit or upgrade to R410A-using unit? [ 3 Answers ]

Our A/C unit is slowly going on the fritz: struggling to provide cool air, now the 2nd time this summer. Technician came out to the house and suggested we remove the current unit, which uses R-22, and replace it with one that uses R410-A since the R-22 is getting forced out anyway. Now my...

View more questions Search