Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RValenzuela Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Can I Sue Former Co-Worker
    The small family owned business I work for is being maliciously targed by two former employees who have started their own company in the same industry. Both employees incorporated their new business while still employed with the company I work for. Using information such as client names, email, phone numbers and fees, they are now soliciting business from our customers and have succeeded in stealing four accounts using the information they legally stole. While the owners of the company are working with an attorney, the sad reality is that they just don't have the money to pursue this legally. As a result, we may need to lay off some employees. My questions is - can the employees sue these individuals for distress, lost wages, anything? They are acting out of pure malice and deliberately trying to make our lives miserable. Is there anything we can do?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2007, 02:43 PM
    From reading your post, I take it you are asking:

Can the employees you lay off sue these 2 renegade former employees?

The answer is: NO

The ONLY people who can sue these 2 former employees is the company (that is, the family owned business).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RValenzuela
    They are acting out of pure malice and deliberately trying to make our lives miserable.
    Hello RV:

My bet is they're trying to make a profit, not do something to you. People don't go into business to try to make other peoples lives miserable. If they do, they go out of business rather quickly.

That doesn't mean these people are good people, but you should remember that all is fair in love and war. Business is war. Your employer had ample opportunities to protect himself and his business. He didn't. I think the responsibility for his failing business rests with him.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 06:41 PM
    If you are the person being laid off, why not try and go to work for the people who just started the new business? Work is work

It is not uncommon if an employee does not sign a non compete and a confidentiality clause to start a new business and try and steal customers, it is done every day and is perfectly legal if there was no contract saying they could not do it. Where do you think 1/2 of the cleaning business and insurance business, and car dealership business, and plumbing business and so on comes from.

Part of my job when I was hired by different companies before I ended up signing non compete contracts, was to go after the customers I had with other companies.

This is just business and how it works, many industry are a cut throat business, and they are just trying to make their business work,
    So your business needs to steal them back, offer better service so they can't steal them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Returns for married H1 worker [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am in Arkansas state US on H1B along with my wife (H4) since Aug 13, 2006. I am getting US salary here since that time. Before coming to US I was getting indian salary for which I have paid taxes in India. In my W2, only US salary is mentioned. My wife is not earming any income in...

Confusing co worker relationship [ 13 Answers ]

HELP! One day while bandaging a co workers cut finger I said I wondered if I was like a mom or sister to him. He replied "Neither, because I would have sex with you". I had no idea that he thought that. After that we started flirting a bit, and on his birthday I told him I would give him a...

Math Problem: Worker Efficiency [ 1 Answers ]

Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution warehouse. Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415. Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces he picks is 1169. ...

Math Problem: Worker Efficiency [ 3 Answers ]

Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution warehouse. Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415. Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces he picks is 1169. ...

Impossible co-worker [ 5 Answers ]

Help me. I need to stay in the job I am in until I finish college and move on to my new career. But I am having a horrible time getting along with the person I work with. I work at a medical office and we work together. I have felt she doesn't get the work done efficiently and therefore I have to...

View more questions Search