Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 29, 2005, 02:04 PM
    Did Mahamad Ali use Martial Arts tricks in Boxing?
    I know that Mahamad Ali trained in some form of Karate. I have studied many of his matches and some of the things he did look like Karate techniques. For instance, his jab resembles and certain kind of backfist. He also employed a physiological martial arts trick too. As you move your eyes from one focus to another, the space in-between is blind. By waving his hand and hitting you with the other when you look, he was using this trick.

Does anyone know for sure if he used martial arts in the ring or was he just doing this naturally?

Oldcoach
    confusedfighter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 07:57 PM
    I think it's a natural thing for him because thts how a lot of boxers set there punches up.. there couldda been some type of karate though.. u knever know
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Ive watched lots of interviews and all his fights and I've never heard him mention much about martial arts. Perhaps he did but my thoughts would be that it just come naturally like anything he did!
    Spirit1966 Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Mar 18, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Ali's jab looked like a back hand because he often would throw it from different angles giving the illusion of a back hand. I Also box for several years and know that boxing basics tell you to throw straight from the shoulder area. But because of his footspeed he was able to throw from various angles . As for the eye contact you train to look forward face and chest area that's boxing 101 . You use your perifial vision to slip ,duck or block punches. It doesn't matter what the other fighter is looking at. You slip punches as they come at you . You can see in some Bruce Lee movies that he would hit and move but I have read that Bruce Lee was a big admirer of Ali and was fascinated by Ali's movement. From what I have read Muhamad Ali never studied anything else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tricks for boxing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any martial arts or any sort of tricks I can use in boxing. Something that literally confuses the other apponent or allows them not to see your punch coming. Not cheating just rele good strategy

Martial arts movie [ 4 Answers ]

About 15 to 20 years ago I saw a movie which I can no longer recall the name of. The movie was about 5 or 6 guys who used to be in the same military unit together- who come together to help save a town or what not. Of the characters I can remember- one was drunk living in a salvage yard, one was a...

Martial Arts and Physics? [ 25 Answers ]

Are there any books out there that treat martial arts from a physics point of view? Even better- Are there any teachers, professors, or instructors out there willing to collaborate on a book on the subject?

Better Basketball Through Martial Arts [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone discuss some of the ways that martial arts training can improve a person's basketball?

Martial Arts and Boxing [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone noticed the various levels of boxing are beginning to show signs of martial arts training or martial arts type stances? Is this because trainers are utilizing martial artists to aid there boxers? Is it because many martial artists and boxers are crossing-over? Can anyone discuss this?

View more questions Search