Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sianrice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2013, 06:30 AM
    Statute of limitations for property tax audit in Minn
    It is now mid May 2013 and I just received a notice of 2009 property tax audit - has the statute of limitations expired?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 14, 2013, 06:43 AM
    Please stop asking the same question.

The Statute has expired. If you are uncertain, call the County Tax Assessor (assuming that's what you are talking about) and ask. In my area once you PAY taxes on the new assessment your time to appeal dies.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 14, 2013, 09:26 AM
    Idon't believe the OP is asking about filing an appeal on his tax bill, but rather has received notice of an upcoming audit - probably to ensure that his personal declarations as to improvements made to the property are valid - and is asking if he couold be subject to an audit so many years after he paid his taxes.

To the OP - I'm sorry I don't have specifics about property tax audit statute of limitations in MN, but I do know that in MN the state income tax statute of limitations is 3-1/2 years from the due date (which for tax year 2009 puts it at 3-1/2 years after April 15 2010, or October 2013). I realize that property taxes are a county matter, so the law is most likely different. For other states such as CA the statute of limitations on property tax is 4 years. But in most (perhaps all?) states the statute doesn't apply if fraud is involved.

Satutes may vary by county, so what county is this for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations for a civil lawsuit of personal property in ontario canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I was informed that I am going to be sued today. 9 years ago a friend had an accident with another friends truck. The owner of the truck blamed me for accident and he said he would sue me for damages to the truck. Like I said this was 9 years ago. I was wondering if there was a statute of...

Statute of limitations on buying property in Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a property in October 2010 in Ontario. Yesterday I noticed some roof problem. We bought through a real estate agent, also got a building inspector to check it out (he did not notice anythinng wrong). I got an estimate from a roofing contractor. He has written on estimate that roofing...

Statute of limitations on possession of stolen property [ 5 Answers ]

My nieces husband was driving a dirt bike that belonged to my son on a road. He was stopped by the police for riding on the road. My son went to the police station as requested by the police. When we finally left the station, my nieces husband was told there would be no charges against him, but...

Income tax statute of Limitations [ 7 Answers ]

I filed returns for 6 years of taxes in Oct of 2002 I spent thirteen months negotiating an offer in compromise. So the statue of limitations should be 10years plus thirteen months. Does travel outside the county freeze the "clock" on the statue of limitations?

Statute of Limitations Tax Lien Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Federal government Canada put tax lien on real estate property in Ontario Canada 8 to 10 years ago. Is there a statute of limitations on this tax lien-- a time limit?

View more questions Search