Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2013, 12:57 AM
    Hey all, I need a new capacitor
    AC stopped working, but we are in Arizona. Even now, in may, at 1am, its still almost 90* in the house :(

I know a little bit about basic home maintenance, and it wasn't too hard to figure out that the capacitor was bad (symptoms of buzzing and a positive stick test along with a bulged capacitor all told the tale)

I am more than able to replace the capacitor, but even though its only 25 bucks, it is just going to have to wait until payday (thankfully in 2 days! LOL)

Can I just jump start the fan with the stick each time it needs to come on to cool the house when needed?

Or is it best to leave it off until I replace it?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2013, 02:32 AM
    Jennie, I've been told that shorting the cap can damage the motor, I'd say wait. Good luck
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 14, 2013, 06:14 AM
    I assume you mean push the fan cage to get it started. Yes, you can do that. Check around, $25 seems a bit high for a capacitor. Be careful with the capacitor, it may still have a high voltage in it.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Absolutely ma0641 lol. I would unplug the power box (on the unit, not the house breaker) before I would consider even opening the cover. And even then still be extremely careful. I have no desire to be cooked! LOL

I may still just call the maintenance guy, as we are renters, I wouldn't want to step on any toes :P and he may cover the cost of the part.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2013, 03:48 PM
    Hi jennie. I don't suggest running the motor until you get the new cap, okay. I run capacitor not only helps start the motor, but it also aids in the correct running of motor. Sometimes motors will still start with a bad cap, but they will overheat and shut back down. This is damaging to the motor. Please wait for the new cap and you should be all set.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2013, 05:47 PM
    Yeah I turned it off and its been off today. We decided to go to a hotel and the matenence guy is coming first thing in the morning. I found that the management company could get in trouble with the owner if I repair something instead of letting them do it. Something about voiding their insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Hi jennie. I dont suggest running the motor untill you get the new cap, okay. I run capacitor not only helps start the motor, but it also aids in the correct running of motor. Sometimes motors will still start with a bad cap, but they will overheat and shut back down. This is damaging to the motor. Please wait for the new cap and you should be all set.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2013, 10:24 PM
    Just wanted to update, HVAC guy came out (same guy we always get so that's always good to have someone familiar with your units history) and it was just what I said. But it didn't cost me anything to have him come out and do it, and he has better tools than I do :P

Plus, originally the capacitor on the unit had been one 'can' with 2 connectors. He said its better in the long run to have those divided, and placed 2 separate capacitors one for the fan motor, and one for the compressor. That way if one goes out (which I hear is a common thing in Arizona summers) he won't need to replace both with the larger more expensive piece.

So we have AC again today. My daughter and I stayed at a hotel, my husband works nights so he had no problem working last night, and then just staying up a little later at home for the hvac guy before going to bed. The house did eventually reach at least 100 degrees (according to our old non digital thermostat, so I can't be positive) so I'm glad he was able to get it fixed quickly.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Hey jennie. Thank you so much for the update. We really do appreciate that around here. Glad you got things all squared away and that you got a good tech out there. Its always nice to see a familiar face in these instances isn't it.

Stay cool and come on back if you ever have any questions in the future.

Lee.
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2013, 11:42 PM
    Thanks lee :) Ive been around here for a while, I know how it feels to give advice, and then never hear back from the person. So I always try to update ;) (and give rep)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use a dual capacitor for the compressor and a run capacitor for the fan motor [ 0 Answers ]

I bought a new condenser fan motor and I only has a black/white and brown wire. I bought a run capacitor with it but do I need a dual run capacitor where I can hook the compressor and the fan motor up. The old capacitor has a 5mfd rating and the new motor has a 7.5mfd rating. The compresser has a...

Does anyone know the name of this song? The lyrics go, hey nicki minaj, hey, [ 0 Answers ]

I think its by oj da juiceman. Some of the lyrics in the corus say this- hey nicki minaj, hey,hey nicki minaj, hey,hey nicki minaj, hey,hey nicki minaj, hey,she walk like she talk like a all star *****

Its like being low, hey hey hey like being stoned [ 2 Answers ]

I need help I love this song but I don't know the name or artist. It goes Me with you girl, its like being low, hey hey hey like being stoned. It's a rock song Help thanks Peace

View more questions Search