Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 13, 2013, 05:24 PM
    98 Accord LX V-6
    I have a 98 Accord LX with the V-6 and it is giving me the dreaded 1-2 shift problem... It's odd though because it doesn't seem to behave as the typical problem I am reading about all over on the Honda forums.

The car did have the prolonged shift then hard shift into 2nd. I have read that this is typical of a bad Honda trans and had accepted that. Now, driving it today is making me rethink the whole thing. Today it seemed to be shifting fine. Drove it around and all was good with it except... the SRS light started to intermittently flash... never staying on for more than a fraction of a second. I also had the gear selector lights on the dash pulsating. Not the typical D4 light that I have read about but rather the light from whatever gear I was in. If I was in Park, the P would pulsate... Reverse, Neutral, D4... they all did it if I had the selector in that particular gear.

Suddenly, the trans started acting up again and I got a CEL on. I coded it and got a P0401 but I don't see how this is related. I cleared it and then took the car out again. It will shift OK, then it will start acting up a little. If I hammer on it and abuse it, it shifts great. Driving nicely, it will sometimes give me a hard shift into 2nd... but not always and not nearly as bad as it was when I first got it.

Really, the lights seem to me like a battery or alternator issue but would that affect the trans also? I remember back in the 90's when I was working on GM's... if the alternator wasn't putting out the correct voltage, the ECM would act up and cause issues. I am wondering if I am experiencing that with the transmission on this car as I know the solenoids are all electric.

Any ideas?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 13, 2013, 06:25 PM
    Thoughts:

P0401--EGR Insufficient Flow Detected

It may be time to replace the EGR Valve. I would not ignore the code. On modern-day cars, the engine and transmission are integrated. Problems in the engine can easily affect how and when a transmission shifts. As I have repeated, ad nausium, full synthetics are the way to go. They will keep your EGR system running cleaner, due to their superior NOACK volatility ratings. Ditto for the ATX. Be sure you have changed the transmission fluid in the last 30,000 miles, preferably with a full synthetic ATF that meets Honda's specifications (e.g. Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF, Amsoil, or Amalie). If you haven't, I would change it. ATXs are the weak link on all FWD cars and require babying. The pulsating lights sounds like the brushes in the alternator are worn and need to be replaced. I would replace the bearings, while you are at it. I know you are up to the task. Before doing this, however, be sure to fully charge and test the battery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 Honda Accord LX/1996 Honda Accord LX [ 12 Answers ]

Would someone be able to tell me if the wheels on an 1986 Honda Accord are interchangeable with those of a 1996 Honda Accord. Thank you

I have a 1992 honda accord and would like to put a 1996 honda accord engine and trans [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 1992 honda accord and would like to put a 1996 honda accord engine and trans in it. Would it be possibly.

92 accord [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 92 accord LX sedan. The problem tha ti am having(I think) is that the car is not shifting into overdrive. It will sometimes but not all the time. Other than that the car is good. Anyone know anything that could be wrong?

97 Accord [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got a great reply to my windshield wiper question - But I have a follow up question. I was told to spray the switch with WD-40 - do you mean the actual switch in the car that turns them on? I know this might be a stupid question, but cars are not my specialty, and I thought I would ask...

95 Accord [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 95 Honda Accord. V6 Engine. When I brake for a stop the pedal wants to continue to compress. I then have to press even harder to keep the car from moving. I checked the brake fluild levels and they are find. The ABS reservoir is showing low. The manual says that there could be a...

View more questions Search