Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deckard236 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2013, 04:14 PM
    Ceiling fan with light kit wiring question/2 switches
    I have wired quite a few ceiling fans in my time but this one has me stumped. I have wired the fan white-white, Black-black, ground-ground and red-blue. In the wall one switch has a red wire in and black out to the black bundle. The other switch has black in and black out to the bundle. Both switches are also grounded. My problem is the switch with the black wire in controls both the fan and the light, the red wire switch does;t do anything. I'm pretty sure from all I have read that this is wired correctly so I am stumped as to how to control them separately. I have the same fan downstairs with 2 switches and this is how it is wired and it works fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2013, 04:37 PM
    Lets start with some basic ideas. The blue wire is most frequently the wire that needs power for the light kit. A red wire coming into the ceiling box most often means you have another switch somewhere, a three way to control the fan. Iwould disconnect all of the wires and test each wire coming into the box. White should be your neutral, ground is green or bare. Black is your hot but so can the red if you have a second switch. Test this out and get \back to us
    AnswerMan5000 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

May 19, 2013, 10:06 PM
    This should help

Ceiling Fan Wiring Instructions, Electrical Wiring for Ceiling Fan by Wiring Color
    JoeDunn Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

May 20, 2013, 03:05 AM
    How is that vague link going to help or even answer the OP's specific question?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring ceiling fan and light on four 3-way switches [ 21 Answers ]

I took down the ceiling fan/light combo in my garage with plans to install two receptacles to plug fluorescent lights into. The fan was controlled by two 3-way switches, and the light by two 3-way switches. I want to have the switches control the new receptacles. I was able to get one of the...

Wiring a switch for a ceiling fan with light kit [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to install a light fixture to my ceiling fan. I connected the blue wire from the currently installed fan to the black wire from the light kit and the white wires. There is no power for the light kit. When I checked the source wires the red wire to the fan is connected correctly but...

Wiring ceiling fan light kit [ 9 Answers ]

Hunter fan with a black and a white wire. Harbor Breeze 3 way light switch with a black, blue and red wire. Which one to which? I checked Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More but that didn't help and also did not see it covered on this site---any help?

Wiring Helix II Ceiling Fan w/Light Kit [ 1 Answers ]

Fan comes with 2 hot wires black for fan and blue for lights. House is wired with a double switch hot wires are red and black. We've tried several combinations but the switch always throws- do you have any suggestions on how we should connect these wires. We do have the common white wire and the...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

View more questions Search