Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chad_and_lana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2013, 02:18 PM
    Black sludge in basement
    We have a newer home (7 year old.) We just discovered probably a gallon or two's worth of water and black slimy sludge in our utility room. It seems to be centered around our floor drain, but it is kind of hard to tell. It does not smell bad per se - maybe a little greasy or medal-y. We are at a loss - any ideas what this might be?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 13, 2013, 02:35 PM
    Most likely, you will need to snake you main sewer line. The black residue is what's left from sewage overflow pushed out from your floor drain. Take care of it in timely manner as this kind of problems don't go away on its own.

If you are handy and not afraid to get dirty, you can do it yourself - or call local sewer cleaning contractor to do it for you.

Let me know if you need help guiding you through snake rental and drain cleaning procedure.

Back to you. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sludge in basement drain.. [ 2 Answers ]

Can you rent a power jetter and try yourself first.. it is a lot of money to have them do it... already tried snake and had sewer pumped

Black sludge in pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, my bathroom sink stopped draining. Seeing as I am a Do-It-Yourself kind of girl I plunged it and the clear water became gray. The water did start draining very slowly so I let it drain completely. I left the fluffy looking gray sediment in the sink. When I touched it it was kind of...

Sludge from basement drains [ 2 Answers ]

How do I prevent sludge from coming up my basement drains when it rains heavily?

Black sludge in my kitchen drain [ 0 Answers ]

I have the black sludge in my kitchen drain - bath sinks have water in them. I took the elbows out and drain the water and then I did the snake thing... it was very hard to due and not much came out but the black sludge on the snake end. Put it all back together thinking it would work... ran...

Black sludge clogging up plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I am desperate for answers as my son and I have tried everything. Both our bathtub and now our bathroom sink are draining extremely slowly. Last night in desperation my son and I opened up the pipes underneath the drain in the bathroom sink only to discover that there was thick black sludge in the...

View more questions Search