Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dmudder56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Flour
    Is plain flour and all purpose flour the same thing?
    catlady23 Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Yes, to an extent. "All purpose flour" is a term used in America. While "plain flower" is a term pertaining to the Europe region. In cooking, they are the same thing. However, if you are looking to order some via mail "All purpose flour" is sifted, while "plain flour" is not. So, you might be confronted with an issue in that specific circumstance(e.g. the flour would become condensed.)
    sunshinedoggy Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2013, 06:49 PM
    In the U.S, yes. Plain flour = All Purpose Flour.

You can see the back of the package for protein content.

Here is the approximate protein content of all the common types of flour:

Bread Flour: 14 - 16%
    All-Purpose (AP) Flour: 10 - 12%
    Pastry Flour: 9%
    Cake Flour: 7-8%

I copied from this site.
    What's the Difference? Cake Flour, Pastry Flour, All-Purpose Flour, and Bread Flour | The Kitchn

In Asia, usually used cake flour as plaing flour , which contains under 8.5% of protein.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian Flour vs. American Flour [ 10 Answers ]

What is the difference between Canadian all-purpose bleached flour and American all-purpose bleached flour? All of my baking using American flour comes out dense and heavy. Is there anything I can add to rectify the problem?

All purpose flour or self rising flour [ 2 Answers ]

Last time I purchased flour I repackaged into airtight container and put in refrigerator; now I do not remember if it is all purpose or self rising flour. How can I determine?

Self raising flour v plain flour + baking powder? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm making jam drops with my kids and I only have self raising flour in the pantry can I use it instead of the plain flour and baking powder?

Plain flour vs all purpose flour [ 1 Answers ]

Most of my cake recipes call for plain flour. When I use all purpose flour my cakes do not turn out the way they used to. The cake is not as fluffy as it used to be. Should I add baking powder to the recipes?

Is it Plain Flour or SR Flour? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some flour stored in an unnamed container. Is there some way to tell if it if SR Flour or Plain Flour apart from cooking with it?

View more questions Search