Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kamal Nayan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2013, 05:54 AM
    Air handler motor running noisy after replacing run capacitor
    Hi,
    My air handler motor stopped working at home. I called a tech who suspected that run capacitor got bad and so he replaced it. For first 6 hours, it seemed to run fine although with some noise however later the noise level increased and I noticed that at times, motor was not running as if not enough torque. I then called York to get specs of capacitor originally on the unit (my tech took away the old part with him) and was told that it was 7.5 microfarad. What I have now is 6 microfarad one which also has a 100K resistor mounted in parallel (which was not there on my old one as I recall).

Does the problem I have is because of motor itself or lower microfarad rating capacitor and/or 100K resistor mounted in parallel with the capacitor?

I will greatly appreciate a response.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 11, 2013, 09:14 AM
    The motor in the unit will have a ID plate/sticker of some type usually located around the belly of the motor. The information you are looking for is located on this plate or ID sticker and you usually have to remove the motor from the unit and blower so as to read it but it will be the original information since every motor and all new motor replacements have one specifically for that item. I know it is a pain top do but it is really the only way to get the true information since motors can be changed without changing the capacitor and the capacitor can be changed without changing the motor. In this case it is best not to guess so take a look. BTW in many cases the factory wiring diagram or parts manual can be wrong since during production runs parts can be changed without notations to the exterior diagrams and part manuals BUT the motor in the unit will always have the information specific to it located on the motor itself. As professional service persons we have to do a lot of research like this and it sure does take the fun out of the job sometimes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air handler won't run, just an unusual hum from the air handler. [ 0 Answers ]

My sister in law tried to install a new thermostat and has somehow messed something up. I went over and her Trane air handler will not run. I found that the glass bus fuse beside the transformer was blown. I replaced the fuse and I still get nothing except the hum from the transformer. I...

Can I use a dual capacitor for the compressor and a run capacitor for the fan motor [ 0 Answers ]

I bought a new condenser fan motor and I only has a black/white and brown wire. I bought a run capacitor with it but do I need a dual run capacitor where I can hook the compressor and the fan motor up. The old capacitor has a 5mfd rating and the new motor has a 7.5mfd rating. The compresser has a...

Concord 80 plus air handler blower motor does not run in cool mode or heat mode. [ 0 Answers ]

Shut off furnace switch to service coil. Coil is clean, replaced covers and turned on furnace switch and now the blower /indoor fan will not run. No power from control board at terminal marked"cool" placed it on terminal marked continuous and will run. Could this be a bad solid state relay K2,...

Trane air handler motor won't run [ 10 Answers ]

My trane air heat pump handler motor doesn't come on. It has a buzz and ocillates back and forth trying to start it seems. This happens when in A/C, Heat or fan only mode. Heat pump cool and heat work fine. Checking the trouble shoot guide it seems it is likely the control module transformer but I...

Air Handler noisy [ 2 Answers ]

What could cause my interior air handler to become noisy? The home is about 12 years old. I went away for the weekend and return to a noisy air handler. It's a Lennox, sounds like it's coming from the blower. What should I do?

View more questions Search