Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 29, 2005, 12:02 PM
    Weapons practice enhances empty-hand moves
    This question is for more advanced martial artists...

After beginning traditional weapons studies, did you notice any improvements in your empty-hand techniques?

Oldcoach
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jan 29, 2005, 03:40 PM
    Yes. But I would not say it enhances movements only. For instance, if you practice with sticks and learn to defend from a stick, you would find defending from a hand or a leg noticeably easier, because a stick approaches it's target much more quick than a hand or a leg does. For other instance, knife teaches you not to rely on your eyes, your view, but instead to "feel" your opponent, once you manage to touch his armed hand. That way you learn to get information about your opponents next step just by being in contact with him.

Kresho
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jul 9, 2005, 07:42 PM
    Great Response
    I noticed the same kind of increase in reflexes after I started weapons training that I noticed after I started empty hand training. It is an exponential leap.

Thanks for reminding me,
    OldCoach
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Jul 15, 2005, 10:55 PM
    More "moment arms" to build muscle
    Working with a weight during exercise often builds more muscle, than exercising without a weight, since it is more difficult.

When you build more muscle strength, you can more easily move.

If you can more easily move, you may even be able to more easily move faster.

If you can more easily move faster, then perhaps you could move even faster than that when not dragging that extra weight around.

Length of a stick, added to length of arm where it is attached, causes a increase in length (over just arm length) from fulcrum to point of application of force (end of object where makes contact), as well as a increase in "moment arm" while practicing with long object, forces more energy expenditure in order to move with more "moment arm", and more momentum.
    Building muscle because of stress.

When you stop using long object it gives a smaller "moment arm" (when not using long object to practice, i.e. back to unarmed combat), and smaller "moment arms" allows more effective torque for same torque applied.

Hope that helps.

I also have some additional info under the following posts:
    How to increase the speed
    Martial arts and physics?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When a roommate moves and leave their stuff [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate has moved out, but all of his stuff is still in the apartment. I am the *only* one on the lease. My landlord knew he was their and not legally on the lease. He won't answer my phone calls, and has not called me back. Can I remove his things myself or is this illegal? Is there a time of...

I feel so empty.. What should I do? [ 5 Answers ]

So I have went through some pretty crazy relationships, but I was always being hurt, or lied too, even cheated on- and finally I thought I found the guy of my dreams. He was amazing- he brought me flowers, drove for four hours at two in the morning to come and see me, and never put me down once. In...

Small tank in loft empty [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, A radiator began leaking a few weeks ago so I switched it off and left it because I was going away. When I went away I switched the Central Heating off and now I'm back, it won't work, the central heating I mean. Won't fire up. To tell the truth last night it did work - but something is...

Baketball moves can aid soccer/footballers [ 1 Answers ]

Is anyone aware that basketball moves can aid soccer players in getting open?

1 Ram slot on motherboard and it is empty! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there and thanks in advance for any help you can give. I have a generic built computer. Recently in trying to upgrade it I discovered some things, this mother board has on board everything! Sound, enet, video, usb, and apparently RAM. I want to upgrade my RAM. In the system properties it...

View more questions Search