Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trvtrekker Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2013, 05:27 PM
    Under payment of estimated tax in MN
    Hi-

I am a resident of MN for the whole of year 2012. But my employer is in MI and he has been withholding MI state taxes but not for MN. Since MI and MN are reciprocal states I am claiming a refund of all taxes withheld in MI. Now my tax liability in MN is only slightly higher than what I paid to MI.

1) Now if I get a refund from MI and pay MN, will I be considered late by MN for whole of the tax liability or just the difference between MI and MN taxes?

2) Since there was no MN taxes withheld during the year will I be assessed a penalty for underpaying estimated tax in MN? Or is that waived for me as MN and MI are reciprocal states and I have been paying MI taxes?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2013, 05:38 PM
    You need to file a Michigan tax return and get a complete refund, THEN you need to file a Minnesota tax return and pay what is owed.

It is likely Minnesota WILL assess penalties and interest for under-withholding and filing and paying late.

If your employer refuses to withhold for Minnesota, you need to pay quaterly estimated taxes to Minnesota for 2013.

Now, if you WORK in Michigan but LIVE in Minnesota, you DO owe Michigan taxes, but you can claim a tax credit on your Minnesota return for taxes paid to Michigan.

Also, do NOT forget to file a claim for the rent paid in Minnesota. That is filed SEPARATE from the Minnesota tax return.
    trvtrekker Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2013, 06:37 PM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert,

Can you please clarify "MN will likely asess penalties"? Can I just pay the taxes alone and see if I am asked for the penalites and interest?

Also, I do not work in MI. I live and work in (contracting) MN, but my employer is in MI and so he wihtholds MI taxes. So I am a non-residnt for MI and resident for MN, right?

Thanks again for the tips on the rent paid.

trvtrekker
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2013, 06:42 PM
    If you worked and lived in Minnesota, then Michigan has NO LEGAL STANDING to tax your income because you are a NON-resident.

You CAN just pay the taxes and hope Minnesota will not assess penalties, but that is practically automatic these days, as it is calculated and generated by computer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estimated tax vouchers for 2011 [ 3 Answers ]

I filed 2010 Fed and State returns, the reports my tax consultant gave me has Fed and State estimated tax vouchers for 2011. I'm employed, and most of the income is the salary, though there is a bit from rental property. In 2010 I sold some stock options and ESPP, hence I owe some money...

Estimated Tax Payments [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find out how much I have paid in estimated tax payments in 2008? I have lost my records...

Extra Federal Tax US$2269.12 Paid using "2008 estimated Tax Voucher 1" NOT on W-2 [ 3 Answers ]

I just received my 2008 W-2 form, finding that the extra Federal Tax US$2269.12 I paid using "2008 estimated Tax Voucher 1" is not reflected on my W-2 form (My bank account shows that the money is deducted). Is that normal? If not, how can I deal with that? Thank you.

Estimated tax payments [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am a postdoc in Alabama. For a postdoc, if he/she gets somekind of fellowship then school does not take out taxes from the paycheck. In my case, I was on regular paycheck (with all tax deductions including Federal, State, City and County taxes) until June 2008. From July 2008, I was paid...

Estimated Tax [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the Estimated Tax. My income did not changed a lot from last year, but now after I completed the filling and printed the forms I noticed that I have four vouchers for estimated tax and one for my owed tax. So I have to pay $1415 the amount I owe (from 1040 line 76) and...

View more questions Search