Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WLoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2013, 11:32 AM
    HIPAA Rules in the Workplace
    HR has instituted new form to give to MD for clearance to return to work. The form lists MD diagnosis of health problem treated. The employee must have the MD complete the form and return to HR before returning to work.

Is this a violation of my privacy if I do not want my condition for being out sick known to my employer? Previouse form only noted that client was treated and able to return to work without any notation of the cause of illness.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 9, 2013, 11:47 AM
    Its up to you if you fill it out or not. Do you want to return to work or not?

Fill it out as required or your employer can legally fire or lay you off. They have the right to know the real reason for an extended absence... and to determine for their own liability reasons if you are capable of returning to do your job.

HIPPA doesn't cover this situation.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...nding/summary/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Rules in the Workplace [ 2 Answers ]

Can medicine punch cards containing resident names be disposed of in a garbage compactor at a nursing home. This is not an open dumpster. The garbage is compacted and then hauled to a landfill and covered.

Hipaa workplace [ 2 Answers ]

Privacy act family hippa? I am a RVO Sales and my daughter got caught up in drugs pretty bag. We sent her to two of the best care facilities we could find and after 120 days she came home. She is 6 months sober and doing well. Mr Sr V. P told me that it was it was my duty to tell my RVP...

Hipaa violations in the workplace [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter works for a large insurance carrier in NY. They were in training and utilizing records of current incoming benefit question phone calls. The recorded conversation that was played for the training class was that of my daughter's and a mental health facility where she is seeking...

Hipaa violation in the workplace [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a HIPPA violation for a manager to send out a company wide email saying " Said employee is out of the office - his wife is in the hospital. Please advise...

HIPAA in the workplace [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I read through all the archives but I still have a specific question that I need answered. I work for a medical billing department. We are in cubicals and the woman next to me has had a serious condition in the past that she has openly discussed with other people. She has recently had a...

View more questions Search