Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhull213 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2013, 11:22 AM
    Basement Plumbing Mystery Object & Sewer Smell
    Several years ago we bought a 10-year-old house with an unfinished basement. The basement bathroom had stubbed-in plumbing pipes (for toilet, sink and tub drains) covered with plastic shopping bags and secured with duct tape.

We finished the basement, doing 95% of the work ourselves. I installed the sink, toilet and tub and hired a plumber to install and connect the water lines. Soon after installing the bathroom fixtures, we noticed a sewer smell of varying degrees in the basement bathroom. It seemed worse in the summer, so we thought it might be caused by water evaporating from the P traps. We tried running a little water in the sink and tub every day, but it didn’t always work.

The sink, toilet and tub worked great for several months. A few months later, while someone was taking a shower, the sewer pump in the lift station stopped working and soon after that, water started flooding up through the lift station lid. I removed the lid, pulled up the sewer pump and discovered something had gotten wedged in the chopper blade. I pulled out something that looked like a piece of a standard mop head. It was a wad of thick cotton strands, about the size of a softball and turned black by sewage.

Thinking that it was something left in the lift station pit that I had overlooked when I put in the sewage pump, I used a stick to stir the water and make sure there wasn’t anything else down in there. Satisfied that the pit was clear of foreign objects, I sealed it all up again.

This past Friday, the nightmare happened again. Unfortunately, we didn’t know about it until my son came out of the bathroom after the bathtub had completely drained to find that the pump had stopped again and a good part of the basement was flooded. We worked a few hour s to contain the damage and the next morning I took the lid off the lift station pit to check the pump. Once again, I found a softball sized wad of thick cotton strands wedged in the chopper, turned black after soaking in sewage.

I can only come up with one explanation for where this stuff is coming from. I figure that the builder, knowing that it was an unfinished basement, stuffed something like pieces of a cotton mop head in the plumbing vent pipes for the basement to keep birds and other animals from getting into the house through the exposed pipes in the basement.

Over the years, as the bathtub has been used, when the water was drained, it created a suction that pulled those pieces of cotton whatever down and into the plumbing, and eventually through to the lift station pit, where it gets sucked up into the chopper and stops the pump. Plugged vent pipes could also be the cause of the sewage smell.

Does this sound like I’m on the right track or am I missing something?
    If I am right, is there anything I can do to make sure that the vents are no longer plugged? I don’t want to go through the flooding again.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2013, 02:40 PM
    Run a power snake from roof with cutter head. This will clean out anything in vent. You can also do this through waste lines.

Chuck
    cm5838 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2013, 04:58 PM
    I know this is an old post, but just wanted to throw a bit of info your way. If tampons are getting flushed they can sometimes cause this binding of ejector pumps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing sewer gas smell in basement that comes and goes [ 16 Answers ]

We moved into a house with a sewer gas smell. We did find 3 open sewer drains that we capped. The odor went away for a week and now is back. It is worse when the heat is on and is so bad we can't turn on the heat. It is pulling the smell from our basement but we can't locate it. We checked all...

Sewer smell in basement [ 3 Answers ]

I have covered a floor drain in my basement and rerouted my kitchen plumbing away from my catch basin in my yard. My kitchen sink now goes directly into my stack. I now have a sewer smell in my basement. All of my down spouts and floor drain outside my basement door also feed into the catch basin....

Sewer Smell in Basement [ 7 Answers ]

I have a bar in my theater room. The bar has a dishwasher, ice machine and a refrigerator. Every few weeks I smell a sewer smell in that area. It may last a day or two and then go away. The drainage is tied into the bathroom in the basement. We never have that smell in the bathroom. Does...

Mystery water in basement, no rain.from neighbors or house sewer leak? [ 1 Answers ]

Townhouse ~100yo in the city with house plumbing/sewer line 50-100yo. Previous owner remodeled house 30 years ago but do not think that the plumbing has been updated. DESCRIPTION: ~1in water puddling 3ft by 3 ft in different corners(diagonal to each other) of basement(on each side of townhouse)....

View more questions Search