Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Questions about the faith that people have.
    What are some good questions to ask when interviewing someone about their faith?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 8, 2013, 12:52 PM
    I try to avoid this topic here and in personal life. I see no one has responded. Your question is a double edged sword.

In what venue, context, whatever are you asking. Is this a homework assignment?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 8, 2013, 12:53 PM
    There are very few contexts where such questions would be acceptable.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

May 8, 2013, 01:55 PM
    I think an important one is WHY the individual believes what they do.
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

May 12, 2013, 07:18 AM
    Before asking someone, be sure about your faith or whatever view you support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 12:34 PM
    "before asking someone, be sure about your faith or whatever view you support."

What? This is an interview, the way I'm reading it, not a discussion. Is this for a newspaper?

I think it's inappropriate to ask someone about their faith, their beliefs, during an interview. Why would you be asking this... and where?
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

May 15, 2013, 12:45 PM
    I attended a Christian college and for a class on Christianity we had to write a paper on others beliefs and how we could have biblically countered those. I had to find a random person and interview them specifically on what they believe and why. Most people are open to that... it's not as offensive as it sounds.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 01:03 PM
    If it's a faith-based interview I have no problem. I am just not sure what the interview asked about is for or about.

I spend too much time on legal matters and realize asking this question can open up a can of worms.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2013, 04:12 PM
    Growing up my father always talked about the three rules he feels are most important when dealing with other people, and those three rules were:

1. Never discuss religion.
    2. Never discuss politics
    3. Never discuss sex

All three can lead to an argument, and should be avoided, according to him. I haven't always followed that advice, and I do have to say, he was right.

Now, if this is for a paper, you're reporting, writing an unbiased view of others beliefs, then your beliefs, in this case, don't matter at all. When it comes to reporting you have to write from an unbiased point of view. Ask questions that will help write your article, ask question you think the readers will want to know, and then write the article based on the answers, not on your point of view or beliefs.

But, without knowing what this is for, there's really no way to give you a list of questions to ask.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2013, 04:58 AM
    HauntingHelper suggested asking WHY they believe what they do. I would also suggest asking what they base their belief system on? Experiences? Books? A Church? Or Perhaps just their own thoughts and feelings. I don't know... I'm always interested in that question myself. I find it interesting and insightful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ive been robbed of my faith in people yet again [ 4 Answers ]

Let me just start by saying, that overall I think I am a very charitable person; not because I feel like I am obligated to be but because I have good friends and family and so why wouldn't I want to help them. Well recently I started dating this guy. Met him at a downtown hotspot in my city; gave...

Questions about my faith [ 71 Answers ]

I was raised in a Christian family. Even in the Christian faith there are so many ways to worship and ways to interpret the Bible. For example, some believe in a strict and plain dress code while others don't even address it. Some treat Sunday as a day of worship only and others go to church...

View more questions Search