Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msnelgrove89 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2013, 12:14 PM
    Employee Pay stub privacy
    I have an employee that decided to open and view another employees paystub and possibly spoke with friends and family about the persons paystub on the details within the paystub with out the other employees consent or even knowledge of the action of the other employee. Is this grounds for firing the employee with out the ability to be qualified for unemployeement insurance in the state of South Carolina.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2013, 12:58 PM
    Ws this a mistake on the employee's part? "Possibly" does not help you legally.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2013, 01:25 PM
    How did this employee get access to the paystub? Did they open a sealed envelope or did the employee who's paystub it was leave it laying around or what? Does your company have a stated policy about payroll privacy?

Personally, I would definitely fire the employee. This is a breach of ethics that I would not accept. However, whether its enough to deny unemployment, I'm not sure without more info.
    Hhannah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2013, 11:29 PM
    This employee left the unsealed pay stub in their mailbox which is in a public area, and the other employee who looked at it had told another employee that they did
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2013, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hhannah View Post
    This employee left the unsealed pay stub in their mailbox which is in a public area, and the other employee who looked at it had told another employee that they did
    I don't know what happened, but I moved this response from a new thread posted with the same question. I'm guessing the OP of this thread couldn't access their account to provide feedback. And that this post was in answer to question asked in the previous thread.

The new thread has been closed.

Whether the mailbox is in a public area or not, the mailboxes should be considered private and to take the pay envelope from that mailbox was a breach of ethics that would be enough to terminate the employee.

If you have any further follow-up, please respond to this thread.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2013, 09:58 AM
    Maybe the paystubs should start to be sealed. Talk to this employee about writing them up or whatever company policies you have in place. In my state you can fire any one for no reason at all. Not sure if your state is 'at will' or not or if this would be grounds if its not. It most likely is reason enough to fire.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 4, 2013, 12:04 PM
    I would fire. I see no reason why employers quake about every transgression (except for the fact that employees these days seem to think they have all sorts of rights). Except for matters of Civil Rights, you do what you feel is right, if it isn't defined in written company policy. Government employees (fed, state, local) are usually covered by all sorts of extra policy, but that doesn't apply to private employers.

Sep 5, 2013, 06:14 PM
    The employee that accessed the other employees paystubs went through there desk drawers to find the stub opened the paystub read the contents and began to question the owner/manager on why the employee received certain pays on vacations and sick days.

Sep 5, 2013, 06:14 PM
    Sorry for the late response

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company asking for pay stub [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for a company that is interested in hiring you, require you to submit a copy of your current pay stub?

Need a copy of pay stub [ 1 Answers ]

Need a copy of pay stub

Employee Rights and Privacy [ 1 Answers ]

I work for an entertainment company in the Customer Service department. There are several departments within the CS department; the portion I am in deals strictly online within an online gaming community. When I was hired 4 years ago, I was provided with a single in-game alias, a name, to go...

Last Pay Stub [ 2 Answers ]

How do I use my last pay stub to file my taxes.

View more questions Search