Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Horecni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2013, 10:28 AM
    How can I get my 401k money from my previous employer? I've left numerous message no
    I was left go from my job in December 2012. I have made numerous attempts to get my 401K money rolled over to my bank but I get no reply from my previous employer. Is it legel to hold on to my money. They have it in a holding company but that company can't release until they are given the approval from my former employer.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 8, 2013, 10:37 AM
    The money is in an account that is managed by the 401(k) administrator (the "holding company" as you called it). They need notification from your former employer that you are no longer employed there, because the rules of the plan say that active employees may not take withdrawals. All I can say is - keep trying. The rules are pretty lax regarding how quickly employers must respond to requests like this, and it's not unusual for it to be at least severakl weks and maybe even months.

Are you planning to roll the account to an IRA managed by the bank? Or are you planning to take it as a withdrawal to use for expenses? If you're between the ages of 55 and 59-1/2 and are planning to take a withdrawal it would be best to not roll the account to an IRA first but rather withdraw directly from the 401(k).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k money owed to me from previous employer? [ 2 Answers ]

Worked for company years ago and believe I had a 401k or life insurance policy owed to me, tim

Previous employer won't help get 401k? [ 2 Answers ]

I no longer work for the company that has my 401k plan.. I have contacted them numerous times but they will not get back to me.. My relationship with them is strained and they will not help me.. Do I have any other recourse? I am 58 years old and was told I shouldn't have a problem.

Left job 4yrs ago is 401k money still accessible from this former employer? [ 2 Answers ]

I worked at a company from the year 2000 until 2004. While I was there I contributed to a 401k plan via payroll deduction. When I left the employer in 2004 I didn't take any of the 401k money(I was young and dumb!) Do I still have access to this money? If so, can I roll it over into an IRA? Any...

Early withdrawal of a Previous Employer 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me exactly what taxes are withheld when doing an Early Withdrawl of a 401 K? Also, when tax season comes around will I be taxed again on the total amount withdrawn as additional income or the amount after taxes? Is it true you are double taxed? Or will the initial taxes removed from...

View more questions Search