Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0909kh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2013, 01:02 PM
    Air conditioner compressor buzzing when air conditioner not running
    Outside unit making low constant hum noise, can be heard 4-5 ft away. fan on outside unit blows when thermostat is lowered and ac comes on. Cool air blowing from vents in house when air come on. Wondered what the noise is?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2013, 05:04 PM
    Not at all uncommon. What you are hearing is a hum from the contactor. Sometimes a simple, firm rap on the outdoor unit where the wires connect will cure it. If not & if it is really annoying, replacing the contactor should cure it. The hum will hurt nothing.
    0909kh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2013, 05:35 PM
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My air conditioner compressor and outdoor fan does not turn on. No Cold air [ 4 Answers ]

I turn my central air conditioner on and I get nothing. Everything is dead. I finally realize that the 3 amp fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and turn on the air and the fuse gets blown again. I replaced the fuse and this time I turn the heat on. Everything works great. Fuse did not get blown...

Air conditioner fan not running-hear buzzing noise [ 0 Answers ]

It was running fine until this afternoon. Fan not running-but I do hear a buzzing noise. I tried the restart button and the circuit breaker. Should I turn the air off until I can get someone out to look at it?

Air-Conditioner Compressor runs, No cool air [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our Amana 8709088812 was working well. The cool air stopped but the compressor stayed on. We called a repair person and they replaced a fan. It worked for a short time and the same thing happened so they came back and replaced a second fan. They said there is a fan for intake and one for...

Air conditioner compressor not running. [ 1 Answers ]

My air conditioner fan runs outside but the compressor does not come on. Why

View more questions Search