Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1102568 Posts: 65, Reputation: -1

May 5, 2013, 03:15 PM
    Does eating food from a microwave give you cancer?
    I always avoid using my microwave because I think that eating the food heated with it causes microwave radiation to destroy cells from the inside of my body and lead to cancer. Am I just being stupid, or am I right to feel this way to some extent?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 5, 2013, 03:23 PM
    You must also then refuse dental x-rays or an MRI or a cat scan or traveling by plane?

Dr. Oz's site says --

Q: Does using a microwave increase my risk of cancer?

A: While it's true that microwave ovens emit tiny amounts of radiation, studies have shown that they're not nearly enough to cause cancer. A microwave could cause other injuries (like burns or cataracts), but only if it's been damaged and starts leaking large amounts of radiation—an unlikely occurrence. If you're worried your appliance may be faulty, replace it, or ask your state health department to test your level of exposure.

Read more: Dr. Oz - Risks of Cancer and Microwaves - Oprah.com

My mother has used one for years and is 89. My mil used one for years and died of old age at 93. During my lifetime, reports come and go that nearly everything causes cancer. The big scare some years ago was that charring food during grilling causes cancer. The world still grills.

May 6, 2013, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You must also then refuse dental x-rays or an MRI or a cat scan or traveling by plane?

Dr. Oz's site says --

Q: Does using a microwave increase my risk of cancer?

A: While it's true that microwave ovens emit tiny amounts of radiation, studies have shown that they're not nearly enough to cause cancer. A microwave could cause other injuries (like burns or cataracts), but only if it's been damaged and starts leaking large amounts of radiation—an unlikely occurrence. If you're worried your appliance may be faulty, replace it, or ask your state health department to test your level of exposure.

Read more: Dr. Oz - Risks of Cancer and Microwaves - Oprah.com

My mother has used one for years and is 89. My mil used one for years and died of old age at 93. During my lifetime, reports come and go that nearly everything causes cancer. The big scare some years ago was that charring food during grilling causes cancer. The world still grills.
    Thank you, luckily, I have never needed x-rays or cat scans :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 6, 2013, 07:53 AM
    You've never had dental x-rays?

May 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You've never had dental x-rays?
    No, I have perfect teeth. I don't even have any fillings. I just get my teeth checked by my dentist every 6 months
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 13, 2013, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1102568 View Post
    No, I have perfect teeth. I don't even have any fillings. I just get my teeth checked by my dentist every 6 months
    Even young children have x-rays. Many things can't be seen with just an oral examination. I find this odd.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 14, 2013, 01:43 AM
    Microwaves heat food and 'die' completely and instantly upon hitting the sides of the oven. They don't live past one bounce. They don't alter food anymore than a gas stove, electric stove, wood stove, or campfire - heat is heat. They ONLY way they can hurt someone is by getting straight out of the machine aimed directly at you. Modern microwaves (since the 60s) have so many built in protections. Mine wouldn't work at all when there was a thin piece of clear plastic slammed in the door, so thin I didn't even see it.

You are in more danger from the fumes from natural gas or propane or wood smoke. You are in more danger from living in a high rise building, the heights at which microwave transmitters send their waves from tower to tower for things like cell phones. You are more in danger from living near an electric power line tower. You are more in danger from formaldehyde in building products, carpeting, and clothing (yes, it is used on fabrics). I could go on and on.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2013, 02:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1102568 View Post
    While I can believe you have avoided medical x-rays or cat scans, I cannot believe you have avoided dental x-rays. Dental x-rays are SOP for your 6 month exam whether you have a history of perfect teeth or not. I can't imagine a dentist who would not do them at some point.

Do you also not use a cell phone?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 14, 2013, 06:41 AM
    I find this whole explanation to be odd - perfect teeth or not, never a dental x-ray? Never a chest x-ray? Not for college? Not for anything?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool microwave is not heating food [ 5 Answers ]

All the other operations work, light goes on, turntable spins, fan works, keypad works. I leave a pyrex glas of water in the over and turn it on for 2 minutes and no heat at all. I have had the oven for about 3 years now and wonder if it is worth it to try and fix or just buy a new one. I am OK...

Why Fast food restaurants Have signs saying their food might cause Cancer? [ 2 Answers ]

I saw a sign outside jackn the box, saying that their foods are cooked in something that creates their food to have posibliity of causing cancer. My question is... if that's a risk to consumers, then why even make the food that way? Can't they cook it in a healthier form? And doesn't the FDA...

My dog stop eating his dog food or drink but he will eat table food [ 6 Answers ]

Last week we took a long road trip and took our dog with us. On the trip he eat his food with no problems but we did give him table food at times. Now he will not eat his food unless it's mixed with table food and he will no drink from his water bowl. Can you help? Should I take him to the vet?

Causes of Internal Cancer. Any Links to the Food That We Eat and What We Drink? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, All! My dad passed away from cancer in 1982 at the age a 70. One of the things that he did for a living, was that he was a mailman for 37 years. His cancer started on his face. After a few years, cancer was found in his lymph nodes around his neck. He had an operation to remove the...

Whirlpool Microwave won't heat food [ 1 Answers ]

Whirlpool Microwave above Stove won't heat food

View more questions Search