Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:06 PM
    Vinyl cover repair
    We have a vinyl hard top tent trailer. In other words, instead of canvass, it's vinyl. It's around 13 years old.

We plan to sell it this year and buy a trailer. My husband opened it up today and noticed one area of the vinyl that's worn through. Not a hole, but worn enough that you can see the sunshine through it.

We'd like to fix it up so we can sell it, but seeing as it's already an older trailer, we really don't want to spend a lot to fix it when we likely won't get more than a few thousand dollars for it.

Does anyone know of a quick and easy, also not expensive, repair? I have looked online and found patch kids, but my husband really doesn't like the idea of those. First, they don't work well (we've used them on other things) and second, if a potential buyer sees a patch he/she may think that there are a lot of issues with the trailer, when really it's one small spot that's just worn, not a hole.

Any tips would be appreciated. Keep in mind that I'm in Canada, so not all products will be available where I live.

We'd like to have this trailer listed for sale within a week.

Thanks. :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2013, 04:22 PM
    I used to see ads on TV all the time for a paint-on vinyl repair kit.
    Try eBay, 'vinyl repair kit' under Parts and Accessories. There's about 100 right now, under $20. I don't know about any brands. I'd select a seller in the US or Canada.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I used to see ads on TV all the time for a paint-on vinyl repair kit.
    Try ebay, 'vinyl repair kit' under Parts and Accessories. There's about 100 right now, under $20. I don't know about any brands. I'd select a seller in the US or Canada.
    Thanks Joy. I'll take a look. :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:01 PM
    Any chance we can get a picture of the affected area ?

Amazon.com: vinyl repair

Marine Vinyl Boat Upholstery
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:03 PM
    To be honest, I think most people wouldn't mind if there was a patch on it as long as you explain why. As you know, I sell cars. I worry mostly about mechanical condition and not so much body as long as it is safe and passes inspection. Some of them have things with the body that people question. Most people are fine with my explanations and don't worry too much about it. As long as you sound like you know what you're talking about and show them, they usually get it.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:04 PM
    I can get a picture tomorrow, I just need to get batteries for my camera. :)

It's not a large tear. I wouldn't even call it a tear, it's more like it's eroded, worn away.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    To be honest, I think most people wouldn't mind if there was a patch on it as long as you explain why. As you know, I sell cars. I worry mostly about mechanical condition and not so much body as long as it is safe and passes inspection. Some of them have things with the body that people question. Most people are fine with my explanations and don't worry too much about it. As long as you sound like you know what you're talking about and show them, they usually get it.
    Thanks Odinn.

I was worried about a patch only because I know I'd worry if there was a patch on a tent trailer. I'd wonder if there were other issues, or if the vinyl was still in good enough condition to last. But this is (from what I've found out) normal wear and tear. It's a trailer, it's out in the sun, so damage to the vinyl does happen. It's actually minimal damage considering the age of the trailer. :)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 4, 2013, 06:31 PM
    You can get vinyl repair items at an auto supply store. Color paste that mixes in well, I've used it on dash repairs.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    You can get vinyl repair items at an auto supply store. Color paste that mixes in well, I've used it on dash repairs.
    I'll definitely look into that. My only concern is that this is a trailer, and the vinyl has to stand up against sun, rain, wind, etc. I've seen a lot of spray or paste repairs for furniture, or car interiors, but so far nothing that would be durable enough for a trailer. The vinyl canvas on the trailer is stretched to the max when the trailer is opened. Whatever we use to repair it has to be stretchy and be able to give when it's being opened.

But I'll definitely look into it. Hubby and I are going to a trailer store tomorrow, hopefully they'll have a few products that would be helpful. We really need to get this fixed. Now is the time to sell, before the May long weekend when all foolish Canadians (it can snow up until June) go camping for the first time. I went on kijiji (it's like eBay but better IMO) and there are hundreds of people looking to buy a tent trailer. I need to get it on the list now, before the season really starts. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you repair the block wall opening to receive a vinyl window? [ 2 Answers ]

We removed the metal frame from the basement apartment windows and the concrete blew out. How do we repair the opening to receive the replacement windows with out using wood?

Install repair vinyl fencing [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 6' high vinyl fence, 5' solid with a 1' lattice at top. It is not held together by brackets but by a tab into the post configuration. I'm trying to figure out how to remove a panel without cutting the tabs with a sawzall. I've heard they may snap into place and can be pushed out from...

Vinyl floor repair [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am going to lay new "no-glue" vinyl flooring in the kitchen. I've repaired the existing floor, but have some patches that are uneven. I want to "smooth out" the existing floor so the new floor doesn't show the irregularities underneath it. What kind of compound or stuff can trowel...

Vinyl siding repair [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy I'billydown and I'm new, I have several holes in my vinyl siding. I have no extra siding to replace it and the color has been discontinued. How can I repair those holes myself?

Repair Vinyl Flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I have two small(less than 1.5 inch) tears in my kitchen vinyl. They are pretty superficial, but also very noticeable to me. They are also on opposite sides of the kitchen. Is there a way to repair these tears other than replacing a section of the vinyl?

View more questions Search