Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theaterkid Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2013, 03:02 PM
    Choosing a high school
    I currently am homeschooled and before that I went to a privet school . But now I want to attend a public high school .and my parents won't let me thy say that its not good enough , not safe ,etc . Most of my friends attend the school . It offers a theater department and I am looking at theater for a job . I can take a bus .I have tried talking but thy don't listen . Thy think that am not responsible enough .
    I live In north Carolina I am 14 and in the 8 grade and I have looked at all my options so does anyone have any ideas.
    Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 03:19 PM
    Is the school in a bad neighborhood, or do you have to go through one to get there? Where do they want you to attend high school?

May 4, 2013, 03:28 PM
    No and no and I will probably go back to private school
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 03:31 PM
    So why "not safe"?

May 4, 2013, 05:04 PM
    Sorry I did not make everything clear .my parent are strict . One side of my family worked public ed for 25 years and thy are very against it . The school is a very safe school one of the best in the state .it is out in the country a little so I don't have go though any towns
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by theaterkid View Post
    sorry I did not make everything clear .my parent are strict . one side of my family worked public ed for 25 years and thy are very against it .
    So how does working in public education for 25 years make someone decide a public school, especially a highly rated one, isn't safe?

What part isn't safe?

What do you mean by "they are strict"? Very religious? If so, what religion? What do they think will happen to you if you go there?

May 4, 2013, 05:38 PM
    Yes thy are religious but that's not a big part it's that thy think I won't have any good influences and the grand parents had death threats sent to them so thy think its all bad . Not just this high school
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 05:40 PM
    yes thy are religious but that's not a big part its that thy think I wont have any good influences and the grand parents had death threats sent to them so thy think its all bad . not just this high school
    Grandparents? Death threats? Please explain.

May 4, 2013, 05:44 PM
    Its hard and don't really want to go there its one of the excuses my mom uses .
    But do u you have any advice though on how to get them to let me go to the school ?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 05:52 PM
    its hard and don't really want to go there its one of the excuses my mom uses .
    but do u you have any advice though on how to get them to let me go to the school ?
    First I have to know why they refuse to allow you to go there.

Are you male or female?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2013, 05:59 PM
    Many parents dislike public education, I am one of them. I do not like them based on moral and religious education reasons.

A large part of home school children when done correctly have very high test scores, and do well in higher education later.

You can not go to a school, unless your parents agree. Is your current home school, though an accredited program?

For the areas like the ARTS, some states nor require public schools to offer after school activities be open to home school children in their district. So you may see if you can be part of this program anyway. Also is there other groups that meet that you can take part in the Arts.

Also normal people do not get death threats, so yes that is important to our answers

Aug 23, 2013, 04:36 PM
    School
    I do not go to a public school but I want to and I was wondering what would happen if got on the school bus and went to the school
    What would the school do ?
    Thanks
    Oh and I'm In high school
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2013, 05:02 PM
    You have to be registered... you have to be assigned classes... you have to be assigned a home room...

You don't just show up...

Aug 23, 2013, 06:27 PM
    If I did it how long do u think I could go
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2013, 06:58 PM
    if I did it how long do u think I could go
    You wouldn't make it through the first class... they take roll in home room and every class... YOU won't be on it and the teachers will know. In many classes you won't have a seat to sit in.

Get your parents to register you...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 23, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Where are you registered right now? Private school? Home schooling?

Like Smoothy said, you wouldn't make it through one class. You can't just go to a school you're not registered at. They keep records of every child that's registered for every school year. If you're not on the list, you can't go.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2013, 07:34 PM
    You could get cited for trespassing and you would get truancy for not being in the school you belong in if you are going to a different school. How do you think you would even legitimately get to spend any time in one single classroom?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 23, 2013, 08:05 PM
    You would have to enter through the school office to get into the school. You'd need to enroll with your parents present. So, it's not going to happen. Why do you want to attend public high school?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 23, 2013, 08:33 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/high-s...ol-747384.html

Here's more of the story.

The OP is apparently home schooled and his/her parents don't want public schooling. The OP wants to joint he theater group which is available at this specific school.

Without the parents permission, it's not going to happen. Besides, even if the school didn't catch on, your parents would surely notice that you're gone 6 hours a day during school hours, 5 days a week. Don't you think?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2013, 09:02 PM
    It is law most places -in the US- that homeschooled kids ARE allowed to fully participate in activities, clubs and sports. I'm thinking maybe though that it may be some religious reason though and they still may not let the OP join.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need copy of high school diploma asp? I graduated 1968 Downey High School, L.A. CA [ 1 Answers ]

I need a copy of my High School Diploma from Downey High School, graduated in 1968. Where would I be able to obtain a copy?

John adams high school/online high school diploma [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I pass the online high school diploma test,I want to pay so I can receive my certificate. What do I need to do

Is a Junior in high school dating a freshman in high school odd? Or weird? [ 28 Answers ]

I mean my motto or what I said was 2 yrs was my max! But I've always gotten older girls if not same age girls. Or I was older by like a couple months. But this freshman in particular stuck out and I took the chance and we have been dating for a month. She will be 15 while I'm still 16 so its not 2...

HIGH SCHOOL choosing,Where to go? [ 3 Answers ]

I have just got my high school application but I don't know where to go:confused:... I want to either be a magazine editor or a lawyer. Any good schools in New York(Brooklyn or Manhattan) that you might recommend??

Would a senior guy in high school go out with a sophomore girl in high school? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a sophomore in high school and I like this senior guy in my school. Last year I went out with this guy who was my age and he was way to imature for me, and wasn't looking for a real relationship, it somethimes seemed to be a friends with benefits thing then a relationship, all he ever wanted...

View more questions Search