Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 12:43 PM
    Potato salad.
    I'd like to make potato salad tonight. I've never made it, mainly because I've only ever like the potato salad my mom made, and I haven't been able to find a recipe that sounds anything like what she made.

No, I don't have her recipe. I do know how to cook the potatoes, I do know I need mayo, and mustard. But the rest, I'm lost.

Does anyone have a great potato salad recipe (no onions) that they'd be willing to share?

My mom's was very creamy, very flavorful, and she always hard boiled eggs and sliced them on top. My mom was German, if that helps. I know she got the recipe from her mom, and so on.

Anyone? I'd love to make potato salad tonight. :)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 4, 2013, 02:20 PM
    This is a good one:

Grilled Mustard Potato Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 02:23 PM
    LOL! Leave it to a man to find a potato salad that you make on the bbq. ;)

Thanks Cats. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Did she use mayo or Miracle Whip? My mom is German and swears by the latter for her potato salad. I'll dig out her recipe and post it.

*ADDED after calling my mom.

Cold Potato Salad

6-8 (or more, if small) potatoes (she uses Idaho or Yukon Gold)
    2 boiled eggs (sliced)
    Small amount of prepared mustard
    Finely chopped celery
    Sweet gherkin pickles (grated) + 1 tbsp. pickle juice, to taste
    1 sweet onion (grated), to taste -- omit this
    One cup or more of Miracle Whip
    1 teaspoon salt
    Pepper

Peel and rinse the potatoes, slice or dice (my mom sliced), and boil them until they are fairly tender. Pour off the hot water, let cool for a short time, and add the mustard, celery, pickles and juice, and salt/pepper. (Proportions are all according to your family's taste.)

Add a cup of Miracle Whip. Stir gently so as not to mash the potatoes. Add sliced eggs and a dash of paprika on top. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Did she use mayo or Miracle Whip? My mom is German and swears by the latter for her potato salad. I'll dig out her recipe and post it.
    Eek! Truth told, I'm really not sure WG. I always thought it was mayo, but it very well could have been miracle whip. Sadly I'm only going by what I remember it tasting like, and I'm not very good at differentiating between those two.

I'd really appreciate the recipe. :)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    LOL! Leave it to a man to find a potato salad that you make on the bbq. ;)

Thanks Cats. :)
    Ovens are for bread. EVERYTHING else needs smokin'.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Ovens are for bread. EVERYTHING else needs smokin'.
    LOL! Typical man.

Sadly, when it comes to potato salad, I'm picky. It's moms, or Oma's (both deceased) or it's crap. Actually, my Oma's potato salad was even better than my moms, and you can't tell my mom that so there's no way for me to get in trouble for saying it.

Creamy, yummy, seasoned, and just so good.

Damnit! My mouth is watering. :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:27 PM
    I'd really appreciate the recipe. :)
    I added it to my previous post. She said you need to taste as you go and add a little bit rather than a lot of something, then you can always add more. She said to tell you she feels MW gives potato salad a better taste and texture, but again, it's your call.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:35 PM
    I added it to my previous post. She said you need to taste as you go and add a little bit rather than a lot of something, then you can always add more. She said to tell you she feels MW gives potato salad a better taste and texture, but again, it's your call.
    I actually talked to hubby and told him about this thread, and he said "I remember your mom always had miracle whip, but never had mayo, so she probably used miracle whip". He's running to the store now to get some, because I never use it. :)

Thanks WG. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm giddy about it.

Do you know how to make spinach too? Not a salad. My mom ground up the spinach, added stuff, and made it into a hot runny porridge consistency. I have all her cook books, all her recipes, but can't find it anywhere. I haven't had her spinach for over 11 years now, and it was my all time favorite meal, the meal I'd ask for on birthdays and special occasions. She always served it with sunny side eggs and boiled potatoes. I'd make you a keybox, or any wooden thing you want if you could find that recipe.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:40 PM
    Was there bacon in the spinach?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:45 PM
    My Goltermann grandmother made the spinach dish. This is very close to her recipe (plus has photos!) --

German-Style Simmered Spinach | The Domestic Man
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:50 PM
    Was there bacon in the spinach?
    No bacon. Spinach, some seasoning, but nothing else major. It was a tiny bit thinner than porridge consistency, you didn't need a bowl, just a plate, to eat it, it was thick enough to stay on the plate. I know she used a grinder that had a wheel, and she had to physically turn the crank and push the spinach through to grind it. There were no big pieces of spinach in it, all ground very fine.

I'm so bad at describing things.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:51 PM
    My Goltermann grandmother made the spinach dish. This is very close to her recipe (plus has photos!) --

German-Style Simmered Spinach | The Domestic Man
    Sadly that's not it. My moms was like a green porridge. You couldn't see spinach leaves in it at all. The spinach was ground very very fine.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 05:20 PM
    Was the grinder attached to the edge of her countertop when she used it?

Name:  amhd.grinder.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  6.5 KBName:  amhd.grinder2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  5.4 KBName:  amhd.grinder3.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  8.3 KB
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 05:34 PM
    But does the bacon sound right? And the cream?

How about this one? http://whatscookingamerica.net/GermanCreamedSpinach.htm
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 05:43 PM
    But does the bacon sound right? and the cream?

How about this one? German Creamed Spinach, How To Make German Creamed Spinach, Creamed Spinach Recipe, Spinach Recipes
    That's a bit closer, but it was even finer than that. I really wish I could find a picture, but I looked and couldn't find anything.

I know there wasn't any bacon, the rest, I'm not sure. :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 05:50 PM
    That's a bit closer, but it was even finer than that. I really wish I could find a picture, but I looked and couldn't find anything.

I know there wasn't any bacon, the rest, I'm not sure. :(
    She probably cooked the spinach, ground it fine (easy enough to do), added whatever (probably a white sauce) and maybe some ginger or other spices. It sounds easy enough to experiment with.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:02 PM
    She probably cooked the spinach, ground it fine (easy enough to do), added whatever (probably a white sauce) and maybe some ginger or other spices. It sounds easy enough to experiment with.
    I think I'll give it a try. The only reason I haven't is that I'd be the only one in the house to eat it. Rod came over for spinach at my parents house once, and wasn't a fan. I know the kids wouldn't eat it, because it's green, and mushy, so of course it has to taste bad (kid mentality). It's a lot of work (or so my mom always said) for just one person. :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:05 PM
    Are you sure it didn't have bacon in it? Bacon is a favorite addition to many German dishes. Plus, that would make sense if she served it with eggs and potatoes.
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2013, 06:09 PM
    Are you sure it didn't have bacon in it? Bacon is a favorite addition to many German dishes. Plus, that would make sense if she served it with eggs and potatoes.
    The only thing I'm very sure of is the bacon. There was no bacon at all. I know my Oma made it, and my dad hated it. It wasn't until my dad married my mom and had her spinach, that he actually liked it. My Oma was insulted.

I had my Oma's spinach once, after my parents died, and it was horrible. Looked the same, but the taste was not even close. My Oma said that the only thing she added to hers, that my mom didn't was flour.

Maybe I should ask my Aunt's in Germany. Surely one of them must know how to make it. Why I didn't think of that until now, I don't know. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potato salad! [ 11 Answers ]

I'm getting a little bored with the way I make potato salad... any ideas of what I could include besides green and red peppers and chives??

So, What's in Your Tossed Lettuce Salad or Salad Containing Greens? [ 46 Answers ]

Hi, All! What I'm wanting to know is what you might have in your salad where the main ingredient is some kind of lettuce or greens or combinations of the two. The main ingredient needs to be some kind of green, leafy things, though. For me, I like darker types of lettuce for my salads. I also...

I HATE salad! [ 8 Answers ]

Not fruit salads, but vegetables! They just make me gag and taste like nothingness. I have heard that if you eat something you really don't like a few times, you get used to it and then you start to like it Has anyone else heard this, is that true? :eek:

Potato Salad add ons. [ 7 Answers ]

I have to take a potato salad to a gathering tomorrow. I won't have time make one from scratch so I will buy one at the deli. Does anyone have an idea of what I can add to a store bought potato salad to make it more interesting and delicious? Thank you, I appreciate any help I can get.

View more questions Search