Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2013, 08:22 PM
    Depending on how tangy you want it go with the mayo if you don't want tangy Miracle whip for tangy or you can use mayo and add a little vinegar or mix mayo and miracle whip to the taste you want.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 20, 2013, 04:00 AM
    Real German potato salad to my mind is dressed with oil and a little vinegar.
    I have on rare occasions made it with really good olive oil dribbled on the potatoes when they are warm, and then not too much mayo. Extra extra rich melt in your mouth.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2013, 04:32 AM
    Oh I saw that she wanted potato salad. Didn't see that it was German. Noticed others were talking about mayo vs miracle whip.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Real German potato salad to my mind is dressed with oil and a little vinegar.
    I have on rare occasions made it with really good olive oil dribbled on the potatoes when they are warm, and then not too much mayo. Extra extra rich melt in your mouth.
    Do you have a recipe?

I still haven't found anything that comes close to my moms. I miss it, it was so very good.
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
    I wish I had a written recipe. My mom makes really good potato salad and I just learned from her taking a few shortcuts because I like easy. I use
    A bag of red potatoes (peel them or not)
    6 eggs (4 through the eggs slicer twice. 2 sliced for the top)
    A tiny jar of pimentos drained on a paper towel until they stop bleeding through
    A green pepper same as the pimentos
    Mayo hellmans it does make a difference
    Salt and pepper to taste

My mom makes german potato salad too but I think she serves it warm
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MelanieRay View Post
    I wish i had a written recipe. My mom makes really good potato salad and i just learned from her taking a few shortcuts because i like easy. I use
    A bag of red potatos (peel them or not)
    6 eggs (4 through the eggs slicer twice. 2 sliced for the top)
    A tiny jar of pimentos drained on a paper towel until they stop bleeding through
    A green pepper same as the pimentos
    Mayo hellmans it does make a difference
    Salt and pepper to taste

My mom makes german potato salad too but i think she serves it warm
    Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Sadly, I can't even tell you what's in my moms old recipe. I'm guessing that it's German, because she was, and so were her parents, her grandparents, etc. etc, and it was a recipe passed down generation to generation, until me. She died before I learned how to make it. :(

It was creamy, but not as creamy as the potato salad I've bought premade at the store. I know it didn't have onions. It may have had celery in it. I know there was vinegar, and I'm fairly sure she used mayo, and mustard. She always hard boiled eggs and put them on top.

One thing I've learned since I started this thread, a families potato salad recipe, is unique to each family. There are literally millions of different recipes for potato salad. Finding the specific one I'm looking for, may be impossible unless I find something in one of her many recipe books (she liked to put her own recipes on paper and stick them in actual recipe books).

I could ask my Aunts, her sisters, but I do remember when I got married, and we had company from Germany (two Aunts, two Uncles). My mom made her potato salad, we went to the hairdresser to get our hair done, and when we came back my Aunt was in the kitchen adding things to my moms potato salad. One of those things was onions. My mom was livid. So was I. Who wants to eat onions right before you get married? I had to kiss a lot of people that day, and having onion breath was not an option. ;)

So, even within the family, the recipe has changed. In other words, my mom may have been the only one that actually knew how to make her potato salad. I really wish I had paid more attention as a child, but who knew I'd lose her before she could pass down all her recipes?

I'm also looking for her spinach recipe, and that one is even more difficult that the potato salad. :(

Jul 20, 2013, 03:38 PM
    My sister doesn't like mustard so there isn't any in this potato salad. Same with pickles and relish. Those are also common ingredients in potato salad. Maybe there was originally. It has just been this way for as long as I've been paying attention. A lot like deviled eggs with potatoes mixed in.

Ask your aunts for the recipe. Maybe you'll get the correct base. Just skip the ingredients you don't like. Good luck!
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 03:39 PM
    My sister doesnt like mustard so there isnt any in this potato salad. Same with pickles and relish. those are also common ingredients in potato salad. Maybe there was originally. It has just been this way for as long as ive been paying attention. Alot like deviled eggs with potatoes mixed in.

Ask your aunts for the recipe. Maybe youll get the correct base. Just skip the ingredients you dont like. Good luck!
    Thanks Melanie. I guess I'll ask the Aunts. Odds are one of them still make it the way mom did.

Now I have to ask, deviled eggs with potatoes? Do tell.

Jul 20, 2013, 04:06 PM
    I guess the eggs and mayo combo makes me think of deviled eggs.

The post makes me think that maybe I should be paying better attention when I cook and write it down. I can add little notes about peeling potatoes and adding parsley garnish when "company" comes.

So many of the things my mom, dad, and now I cook are so far from the recipes they originally came from that without help, my kids wouldn't be able to make them.

Thank you
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 04:10 PM
    I guess the eggs and mayo combo makes me think of deviled eggs.

The post makes me think that maybe i should be paying better attention when i cook and write it down. I can add little notes about peeling potatoes and adding parsley garnish when "company" comes.

So many of the things my mom, dad, and now i cook are so far from the recipes they originally came from that without help, my kids wouldnt be able to make them.

Thank you
    It's something I'm doing now for my kids. My mom was very much the kind of person that went by feel when she cooked. The recipes she made often, she never wrote down. I often asked how to make certain things and she wouldn't be able to tell me, at least not in a way that would lead me to an actual recipe. She was a "pinch of this" and a "dash of that" sort of person. What the heck is a pinch? Well, in some recipes a pinch was a teaspoon, in others it was as much as a cup. It depended on the other ingredients.

Every meal my kids love, I write down exactly how I made it, and I get them to help me make it. I'm hoping that this will allow them to make it for themselves when they're grown, and I'm no longer around to help.

The spinach and the potato salad are the two things my mom made that I miss most, and the only two things I haven't been able to replicate.

Every family should have a cook book, that's my opinion. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potato salad! [ 11 Answers ]

I'm getting a little bored with the way I make potato salad... any ideas of what I could include besides green and red peppers and chives??

So, What's in Your Tossed Lettuce Salad or Salad Containing Greens? [ 46 Answers ]

Hi, All! What I'm wanting to know is what you might have in your salad where the main ingredient is some kind of lettuce or greens or combinations of the two. The main ingredient needs to be some kind of green, leafy things, though. For me, I like darker types of lettuce for my salads. I also...

I HATE salad! [ 8 Answers ]

Not fruit salads, but vegetables! They just make me gag and taste like nothingness. I have heard that if you eat something you really don't like a few times, you get used to it and then you start to like it Has anyone else heard this, is that true? :eek:

Potato Salad add ons. [ 7 Answers ]

I have to take a potato salad to a gathering tomorrow. I won't have time make one from scratch so I will buy one at the deli. Does anyone have an idea of what I can add to a store bought potato salad to make it more interesting and delicious? Thank you, I appreciate any help I can get.

View more questions Search