Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2013, 02:50 AM
    Refinance a mortgage
    Hi all, we have 2 mortgages one $188,000 @5.01% with 20 1/2 years left and one of $78,000 @6.25%. I want to refinance our mortgage of $266,000 with a 30 year at 3.50% and my wife wants a15 year at 2.875%. Please guide me on the best course of action. Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 6, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Under the 15-year mortgage you will build equity much faster, and over the term of the mortgage you will pay a lot less in interest charges. So if you can afford the higher monthly payment it makes sense to go with the 15-year mortgage. On the other hand if paying a lower monthly amount for your mortgage frees up cash for you to pay off other outstanding high-cost debt - such as credit cards - or if it would allow you to build up your savings safety net, or invest more in your 401(k) plan or an IRA, then the 30-year might make sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If my name is on the deed but not the mortgage can I refinance? [ 1 Answers ]

If my name is on the deed but not the mortgage can I refinance?

Refinance mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Can you help me refinance my mortgage to a lower fixed rate if I am currently in a chapter 13 bankruptcy?

Mortgage Refinance [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any recourse if you were lied to throughout the whole Refinance process and are now stuck in a loan that you would have never Signed for. We are retired and now this loan is probably going to cause Us to lose our house.

Refinance of a mortgage [ 5 Answers ]

Three years ago my father passed away. In order to assist my mom with costs and remaining in the house she has lived in for so many years I refinanced the home. I refinanced the home with her and I on the mortgage as well as the deed. I am now looking to move on and buy a house of my own and my...

Refinance mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I claimed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy 2 years ago and have been paying. We will not be paid off for another 3 years. Our current mortg. Is a 20 year and if we could get it to a 30 year our payments would be lower and that would help with our payments. The current lender is not...

View more questions Search