Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2013, 05:49 AM
    How to screen for a new tenant?
    Hi all, I'm getting a new tenant for my 2 family rental and wonder how to screen a new tenant? I've had the property for 25 yrs but only 4 tenants and one for 25 yrs and the others were friends or family of friends so I had some reference. Now this person is unknown to me. Thanks for any advice.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 3, 2013, 06:53 AM
    Get the prospective tenant's permission to run a background check and then hire a firm or Private Investigator to do the investigation.

I have never found that talking to previous landlords was helpful. If the landlord hated the tenant I got a glowing recommendation because the landlord wanted the tenant out of his place; if the tenant was a pain the landlord was afraid, legally, to say anything.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Check to see if there is a landlord's association in your area. If you join they may have a service for background checks. Otherwise, hire a PI as Judy suggested. You can charge a fee to offset your costs.

You also want to check personal references, not because they won't praise the applicant, but to make sure they exist in case you need to contact them. Also ask to see a current paystub to verify income.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 3, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Draw up an application, asking every question you can think of, from all addresses of the last 10 years, to pets, children, smoking, and even pests where they live now such as cockroaches and bedbugs. They might lie of course, but you have the denial in writing.
    You can't ask any questions that fall under civil rights (race, religion, gender, disability are the main ones). You don't have to make your building accessible for physical disability.

Then write your terms about the above and more: deposits, penalties for late rent, no partial rent, bounced checks, damage, noise, painting, holes in walls, how many cars, occupants not on lease, anything you can possibly think of. Be specific about what you will evict for.

My sister has a condo she rents out in a college town, and she requires direct deposit of rent, and either solid evidence of income or a co-signer. Works great.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 3, 2013, 10:37 AM
    Joy, my only problem with getting info and not checking it out (and some info cannot be checked out without assistance) is you get info, just that and no more.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 3, 2013, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Joy, my only problem with getting info and not checking it out (and some info cannot be checked out without assistance) is you get info, just that and no more.
    Which info? Bugs are the ones I meant that are difficult to check out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C with split screen [ 5 Answers ]

Hello,I have an eight month old Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C My sound is great. My picture is distorted. Seems it has a divided screen. With little movement of the actual picture. Colors are way off. And none of the controls work except for channel up and down work, but very...

Gateway mt3419 ultra bright wide screen lcd screen flickers? [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. My screen flickers and goes black. What can I do?

My laptop screen suddenly started shaking and one line appears on the screen [ 1 Answers ]

Mu laptop screen started shaking & some double thin line appears on the top of the screen, I am really scared of that... so many insects move around my laptop most of the time, can anyone please suggest me what can I do to stop screen shaking & remove the lines from screen??

Screen and icons unable to get screen back to normal size [ 3 Answers ]

I have been unable to get my screen back to normal size, everyone else that logs in hah no problem but my Icons are to large as well as my back ground I am unable to read my emails and of course I am very fustrated, can you please help me?

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

View more questions Search