Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    112223333 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2013, 05:50 PM
    Guns
    I got charged with two guns, the police stopped me for not having my headlights on. They asked to search the car I said no. They said they wasn't but did anyway! I'm a first time offender and I live in Virginia
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 2, 2013, 06:05 PM
    What is your question? Whether it was a lawful search? Something else?
    112223333 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2013, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What is your question? Whether it was a lawful search? Something else?
    I want to know what can I possibly get in jail? Or fined? Probation?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 3, 2013, 04:12 AM
    Hello 1:

The search was illegal. Hire a lawyer and you'll be exonerated.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 3, 2013, 05:21 AM
    Are you telling me it's illegal to have firearms in your car in Virginia?

Some other Virginians, Patrick Henry, George Washington, James Madison, R. E. Lee, and James Drury would be upset to know that.

Crimes involving firearms in Virginia are described here. Which one were you charged with?
    Uber Member

May 3, 2013, 05:30 AM
    What is the exact charge?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 3, 2013, 09:17 AM
    He is either prohibited or does not have the proper carry permit.

Transporting firearms in a vehicle, without a carry permit, is only allowed if you are:
    Going to or from a designated hunting area
    Going to or from a target shooting area
    Going to or from a place of purchase or repair

In these cases, the firearm and ammunition must be kept in separate "compartments" and be "properly secured".

Without a carry permit, if he had the guns just laying out in the open or not secured, he is in violation.
    Uber Member

May 3, 2013, 09:32 AM
    Hello odinn:

That said, the cop wouldn't/couldn't find evidence INSIDE the car to bolster his citation of not having headlights on.. Illegal or not, the search to find them was, and they can't be introduced into evidence.

excon
    Uber Member

May 3, 2013, 10:16 AM
    Without more details I'm not sure. I understand human rights, the right to carry, all of that - but I also understand Police Officers who think they are in danger, get a tip, something else. Sometimes that request is simply a courtesy.

I'd like to know the exact charge -
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 3, 2013, 10:39 AM
    If the cop saw a gun or guncase in plain sight, he isn't performing a 'search' of a car after stopping the car for a legitimate car violation. That's my understanding of the law. We don't know if that happened or if a real search was done. OP seems more concerned here with what his punishment is going to be.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 3, 2013, 10:43 AM
    excon, I don't believe that 'the cop wouldn't/couldn't find evidence INSIDE the car to bolster his citation of not having headlights on' is accurate.

He does say that the cops asked if they could search, were told no, and did anyway. How much of a search it was we don't know. Shining a flashlight on the floor? Lifting a blanket? Is the first in plain sight and the second an illegal search?
    Uber Member

May 3, 2013, 01:11 PM
    Hello joy:

All those unknowns remain unknown.. I can only go by what is known. He said he didn't give them permission to search and the cop did anyway. Unless the cop was looking for evidence of the crime of not having headlights on, the search was illegal...

Granted, there's a lot of stuff we don't know.

excon
    Expert

May 3, 2013, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    He is either prohibited or does not have the proper carry permit.

Transporting firearms in a vehicle, without a carry permit, is only allowed if you are:
    Going to or from a designated hunting area
    Going to or from a target shooting area
    Going to or from a place of purchase or repair

In these cases, the firearm and ammunition must be kept in separate "compartments" and be "properly secured".

Without a carry permit, if he had the guns just laying out in the open or not secured, he is in violation.
    Can you cite the statute that says this?

Because I looked, and didn't find one that does.

Here is the list of Virginia firearm (or other weapon) crimes that I did find:

"18.2-279 Discharging firearms or missiles within or at building or dwelling house; penalty
    18.2-280 Willfully discharging firearms in public places
    18.2-281 Setting spring gun or other deadly weapon
    18.2-282 Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearan...
    18.2-282.1 Brandishing a machete or other bladed weapon with intent to intimidate; penalty.
    18.2-283 Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship
    18.2-283.1 Carrying weapon into courthouse
    18.2-284 Selling or giving toy firearms
    18.2-285 Hunting with firearms while under influence of intoxicant or narcotic drug; penalty
    18.2-286 Shooting in or across road or in street
    18.2-286.1 Shooting from vehicles so as to endanger persons; penalty
    18.2-287 Description unavailable
    18.2-287.01 Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal
    18.2-287.1 Description unavailable
    18.2-287.2 Wearing of body armor while committing a crime; penalty
    18.2-287.3 Description unavailable
    18.2-287.4 Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty
    18.2-288 Definitions
    18.2-289 Use of machine gun for crime of violence
    18.2-290 Use of machine gun for aggressive purpose
    18.2-291 What constitutes aggressive purpose
    18.2-292 Presence prima facie evidence of use
    18.2-293 What article does not apply to
    18.2-293.1 What article does not prohibit
    18.2-294 Manufacturer's and dealer's register; inspection of stock
    18.2-295 Registration of machine guns
    18.2-296 Search warrants for machine guns
    18.2-297 How article construed
    18.2-298 Short title of article
    18.2-299 Definitions
    18.2-300 Possession or use of "sawed-off" shotgun or rifle
    18.2-301 , 18.2-302
    18.2-303 What article does not apply to
    18.2-303.1 What article does not prohibit
    18.2-304 Manufacturer's and dealer's register; inspection of stock
    18.2-305 Description unavailable
    18.2-306 Search warrants for "sawed-off" shotguns and rifles; confiscation and destruction
    18.2-307 Short title of article
    18.2-308 Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry; penalty
    18.2-308.1 Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited
    18.2-308.1:1 Purchase, possession or transportation of firearms by persons acquitted by reason of insanity; pena...
    18.2-308.1:2 Purchase, possession or transportation of firearm by persons adjudicated legally incompetent or men...
    18.2-308.1:3 Purchase, possession or transportation of firearm by persons involuntarily admitted or ordered to o...
    18.2-308.1:4 Purchase or transportation of firearm by persons subject to protective orders; penalty
    18.2-308.1:5 Purchase or transportation of firearm by persons convicted of certain drug offenses prohibite...
    18.2-308.2 Possession or transportation of firearms, firearms ammunition, stun weapons, explosives or conceale...
    18.2-308.2:01 Possession or transportation of certain firearms by certain persons
    18.2-308.2:1 Prohibiting the selling, etc., of firearms to certain persons
    18.2-308.2:2 Criminal history record information check required for the transfer of certain firearms
    18.2-308.2:3 Criminal background check required for employees of a gun dealer to transfer firearms; exemptions; ...
    18.2-308.3 Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohi...
    18.2-308.4 Possession of firearms while in possession of certain substances
    18.2-308.5 Manufacture, import, sale, transfer or possession of plastic firearm prohibited
    18.2-308.6 Description unavailable
    18.2-308.7 Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty
    18.2-308.8 Importation, sale, possession or transfer of Striker 12's prohibited; penalty
    18.2-309 Furnishing certain weapons to minors; penalty
    18.2-310 Description unavailable
    18.2-311 Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc
    18.2-311.1 Removing, altering, etc., serial number or other identification on firearm
    18.2-311.2 Third conviction of firearm offenses; penalty
    18.2-312 Illegal use of tear gas, phosgene and other gases "
    Expert

May 3, 2013, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    ... How much of a search it was we don't know. Shining a flashlight on the floor? Lifting up a blanket? Is the first in plain sight and the second an illegal search?
    No, the second would not be illegal either, assuming a legitimate stop, in this case for unlit headlights. Terry v. Ohio is still good law, last I looked.
    Uber Member

May 3, 2013, 06:30 PM
    If a person can drive around in a vehicle with firearms in Virginia without a problem, why do you think he was stopped? I'm guessing there's more to the story, perhaps a violation of Federal Law.

Whoops - reading into a question again!

So, based on what has been posted, it's an illegal search and seizure and the ticket(s) will be thrown out.
    Entomology Expert

May 3, 2013, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Can you cite the statute that says this?

Because I looked, and didn't find one that does.
    Sorry, I'm not a lawyer... I just know gun laws and Virginia gun laws are almost identical to Pennsylvania gun laws... so I briefly summarized. If you need the exact statute that states all this, in all it's length, here it is:

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308
    Expert

May 3, 2013, 07:54 PM
    Sorry, I'm not a lawyer...I just know gun laws and Virginia gun laws are almost identical to Pennsylvania gun laws....so I briefly summarized. If you need the exact statute that states all this, in all it's length, here it is:

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308
    I already cited that; It's not what you said the law is. Here is the heart of what you linked:

"... If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (I) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon... he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    ... "

You said that transporting a weapon in a vehicle is prohibited with certain exceptions. That's not what section 18.2-308 says. OP claims he was charged with (having, apparently) "guns" in his vehicle. And, as I have indicated, there is no evidence that having guns in one's car (as opposed to concealed about one's person) is against the law in Virginia.
    Entomology Expert

May 3, 2013, 08:04 PM
    I knew you were looking to argue with me about this.

Read it again... it does say what I said IF you read it all.
    It all talks about needing a Carry Permit and when you are allowed to carry/transport without such a permit.
    Section B covers who is allowed to carry/transport WITHOUT a permit and under what circumstances.

3. Any person who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;
    Expert

May 4, 2013, 04:50 AM
    I knew you were looking to argue with me about this.

No, I actually don't. And I don't think I will continue to argue with you; for two reasons:

1. The OP hasn't come back and probably wouldn't understand what we have to say anyway; and
    2. When I point out that you are incorrect you come up with totally different and inapplicable language.

Have a good day.
    Entomology Expert

May 4, 2013, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    [*]When I point out that you are incorrect you come up with totally different and inapplicable language.[/LIST]

Have a good day.
    I fail to see how that is any different than what I originally said other than I summarized the first time. But, you are the lawyer, I am not, so I suppose I could be wrong. I only speak from experience and having been through this but I admit, I cannot read law the way it is written... and I never will be able to. I am big on right to carry and have been through much involved in both OC and CC.

One thing I have discovered though, if the law has any gray in it at all when it comes to carrying a gun, the police will take it their own way and then it is up to the civilian and their lawyers to make it more clear to the police.

And you are right, he hasn't come back and he probably won't.

I apologize if I offended you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ex felons, guns [ 5 Answers ]

Allowed to hunt,possess firearm in pa. ?

Guns and Felons [ 4 Answers ]

Can a person with a felony live in a house where there is a gun? My spouse is considering purchasing a gun. The gun would be locked. I served my sentence (non-violent crime) 5 years a go. I now reside in NJ

T.I guns [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering what guns it was specifically that the rapper T.I got busted having I saw the pictures but could only identify the 44. the calico 9mm and the uzis.

No guns are to be where son is cared for. In laws have guns [ 3 Answers ]

The court papers say that there are to be no firearms anywhere that my son is being cared for. My son is 5, my ex wants to take him out of state to see his family for 4 days. His father has 5 guns, including 2 that belong to my ex. His mother and sisters all have guns... There is a currant...

UN wants your guns 7/04/06 [ 47 Answers ]

Read the following, wake up everyone!!!!!!!!!!! Link: http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul330.html

View more questions Search