Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wannabebestmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2013, 12:35 PM
    Brigance test score meaning
    My four year old scored 69 on her Brigance pre-K screening test. Should I be worried? She would score 10 out of 10 then 0 out of 10. It was like she just didn't participate if she wasn't interested in that part. I have three months to correct this. Should I seek help?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 2, 2013, 12:38 PM
    Not sure... should you be worried? I know at 4, if my daughter didn't care about something, it was tough to make her do it... she probably doesn't care much if she does it right or not.
    busymomma2013 Posts: 282, Reputation: 20

May 2, 2013, 01:15 PM
    I agree with odinn7 on this one. My four old can do most stuff on the Brigance test, but if asked to do it in fromt of a stranger or even his Dr. he wouldn't. So if it were me, I wouldn't be "worried" . I would spend a little time everyday asking my child some of the test questions just so that way when he get asked them for the actual test it won't be so out of the blue.
    earlychildhood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2013, 05:11 PM
    I have been in early childhood education for over twenty years and in testing for specialized populations for five. Believe me when I say you have nothing to worry about.

There are so many factors that can influence a child's performance (and especially a younger child). The fact that she has scored 10 out of 10 on some of the assessments, shows that she knows what's what. The 0 scores are usually a sign of just plain not being interested. I might say something else if she scored 4 or 5 on some, but the fact that it is 0, shows that she just could not be engaged.

One suggestion: Take a look at the sections she did not do as well on and see if she knows the information under different, and more informal, circumstances with you or a different trusted adult.

I am assuming that this is being done for kindergarten readiness, and the teachers should understand the variables that can affect the performance. Do not be afraid to be an advocate for her and make sure that they are willing to see how bright your daughter is. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brigance test score [ 3 Answers ]

My 4yr 4mon scored a 115 on brigance inventory mean?

Average score on Brigance Kindergarten Test [ 1 Answers ]

What are the Average Scores on the Brigance Kindergarten test, and on the Brigance First Grade Screening?

Brigance Test Score for Kindergarten [ 1 Answers ]

What are the average Kindergarten scores for the Brigance test? My son scored an 88. I was just curious if that was an average score.

Brigance score of 90 on pre school test, what does it mean? Is it a good score? [ 1 Answers ]

A score of 90 on the brigance pre school test for a student who is 4 years 4 months old. What does it mean? Is it a good swcore?

View more questions Search