Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawnica Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2013, 09:37 AM
    Can I get german citizenship even though my father married my mother after I was born
    My father, who is now deceased, was a dual german & american citizen. He was born in germany to my grandmother who is German and my grandfather who is American. My grandparents relocated to the states 5 years after my dad was born. My grandparents kept my dads german birth certificate & german passport. Upon relocating, my grandmother gave up her german citizenship (during the 50's dual citizenship was not recognized). Years later, I was born. I was born in the states. Four months after I was born, my parents married. My question is-- Am I entitled to dual german/american citizenship since my father was a german (and american) citizen at the time of my birth? Can I still claim this even though my parents were married shortly after my birth? And, can I still claim this even though my dad is deceased and never registered my birth with the German government since I was born in the states?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

May 2, 2013, 09:42 AM
    The question would be if your father was still a German citizen. Since your grandma gave up German citizenship upon immigration to the US, it could that the same happened with your father, however, rules for children are often different. Your best bet would be to contact the German embassy.

Dual Nationality | United States Diplomatic Mission
    dawnica Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2013, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxesforaliens View Post
    The question would be if your father was still a German citizen. Since your grandma gave up German citizenship upon immigration to the US, it could that the same happened with your father, however, rules for children are often different. Your best bet would be to contact the German embassy.

Dual Nationality | United States Diplomatic Mission
    Thank you for your reply. I know for a fact that my father never renounced his German citizenship. I'm just not sure that because my grandmother did so, did that have any effect on my father's - as he was a minor?.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

May 2, 2013, 11:47 AM
    You don't really have to renounce it, the moment you take a different citizenship, the German one is revoked if you didn't get permission beforehand (Im German too with double citizenship). The case might be different for minors, so ask the German embassy, they can help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get a german citizenship as an american through my mother [ 5 Answers ]

I am German, my son is American, I tried even before 1977 to get a German Passport for him, could not get one. What can I do, he was born in 1971 in Australia but is American through his father and has an american passport.

Can I get a German Passport if my mother was born in Germany? [ 3 Answers ]

My mother was born in Germany in 1950 to German parents. She migrated to Australia in 1956 and obtained Australian citizenship. She had me in 1986. Is it possible for me to obtain a German passport whilst not giving up my Australian citizenship? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Born in germany and looking for German citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

I was born in germany and was never a citizen my mother was also born in germany I waw born in 47 amd my mother was born in 1924 what is my status, can I get a German passport or Citizenship

I was born in Germany to a German mother, do I qualify for a German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Germany in 1991 on a German mother and a British father. I've lived in the UK since I was a couple months old and I am now 19, because we lived in the UK my mother didn't want things to get complicated with aplying for passports so she only let me have a British one instead of a...

My mother was born in germany do I qualify for a german passport [ 1 Answers ]

My mother was born in what was East Germany, she came to Canada at the age of ten as a refugee, she is now a Canadian Citizen and was when I was born in Calgary, AB Canada in 1974. Both my grandparents were also German but became Canadian. Do I qualify for a german passport, or a dual citizenship.

View more questions Search