Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 2, 2013, 08:07 AM
    Dish Washer & Garbage Disposal
    Hello:

I'm going to replace those two items, but do I need to turn the power off at the box before I mess with 'em?

excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 2, 2013, 08:11 AM
    It would be wise to... if you don't have a Multimeter or something to confirm you cut power at the right breaker(s) by checking at the appliences... if you don't... its safer to cut it to everything.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2013, 08:35 AM
    Hello again, smoothy:

What could happen if I don't? Could I be careful and not get myself killed?

excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 2, 2013, 08:51 AM
    You could do it... the risk is hitting a live wire with one hand... while you ground yourself with the other hand... and get a path of curent across your upper chest and heart which COULD stop your heart...

Wear dry gloves... take wires off one at a time.. and put a wire nut on them and you might be OK... I could do it.. the average electrician could do it... but I've got to still say its not safe... I've gotten zapped a few times over the years even with precautions when I couldn't kill the power because I had to have it on at the time for other reasons.

If you aren't comfortable working with 120vac... I'd honestly recommend you rethink killing the power long enough to unhook and cap the wires. Its only a few minutes for you to unhook them to cap them with wire nuts or electrical tape then turn the power back on until you are ready to hook up the new appliances.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2013, 09:05 AM
    Hello again, smoothy;

Thanks. That's what I'll do.

excon
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 2, 2013, 09:08 AM
    Always turn off all power servicing all appliances that operates all devices within any electrical circuit that is attached to the unit in question. In other terms turn the power off to as many circuits as possible without hindering the power necessary to test the device when necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is fiber gasket between sink & garbage disposal needed? [ 1 Answers ]

My garbage disposal was installed without the fiber gasket under the sink. Is this gasket needed?

How do I get a dish cloth out of my garbage disposal? [ 4 Answers ]

I just turned on my garbage disposal and heard a "click" and realized that a dishcloth had slipped down the drain. Only the corner of it is wedged in there, but it is stuck fast- definitely can't be untangled or pulled out. It's a holiday weekend and I don't want to have to call (or pay for) a...

Installation of Dishwasher & Garbage Disposal [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to get a ballpark figure of what one can expect to pay to install a dishwasher (replacing an old washer - plumbing already there) and installing a new disposal (never had one) and the electrical switch for the disposal (electrical outlets on both sides of the sink). Would you say...

Sink disposal draining into dish washer [ 4 Answers ]

Our dish washer is hooked up to drain into our disposal. My wife does not always turn the disposal on when she is washing dishes. I was wondering if the disposal is getting plugged and draining backward into the dish washer. Is there a 1 way valve which could prevent this.

Garbage disposal or dish washer [ 2 Answers ]

Im not sure which appliance is the problem. When I run the garbage disposal the water seems to back up into the dish washer. Not all the water but it does cover the bottom of the dish washer. Does any one know what the problem is. Blurino

View more questions Search