Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2013, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I have to quibble with something that several people have said. ... in general it's a reliable guide.
    That's why having a landmark (like Lake Ontario for me when I was a kid) or Chicago/Lake Michigan (et al.) now for me as an adult is a good way to get your bearings. I always have a Chicago and suburbs map in my glove compartment. My dad taught us kids to be able to read maps -- best thing I ever leaned besides touch typing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2013, 01:55 PM
    Well if you really want to quibble, the sun doesn't "rise" or "set". The earth rotates towards the east so that the sub appears to "rise" over the easterly horizon and "set" towards the westerly horizon.

;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Well if you really want to quibble, the sun doesn't "rise" or "set". The earth rotates towards the east so that the sub appears to "rise" over the easterly horizon and "set" towards the westerly horizon.
    There's always one in every crowd... :D
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 2, 2013, 02:46 PM
    So to distinguish east from west all you need do is get into a space shuttle, blast off into orbit and see which way the earth is turning -- I've think we've solved the OP's problem! ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2013, 02:49 PM
    So to distinguish east from west all you need do is get into a space shuttle, blast off into orbit and see which way the earth is turning -- I've think we've solved the OP's problem! ;)
    But... but... but how will you be able to tell which way the earth is turning? (am leaving this open for all sorts of possibilities... )
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 2, 2013, 02:51 PM
    I think we've fallen short of the OP's original wishful thinking: " I know y'all are a bunch of mature adults ..."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2013, 03:16 PM
    I think we've fallen short of the OP's original wishful thinking: " I know y'all are a bunch of mature adults ..."
    At least she now realizes she isn't alone.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 3, 2013, 08:22 AM
    Hi, Chi - I don't have an answer for you BUT I see Police Reports ALL the time that have the directions of travel wrong. For example the report will say that #1 was traveling North and was T boned in the driver's side at an intersection by a vehicle traveling West. That's not possible (in the US).

You are not alone.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 6, 2013, 05:12 PM
    Thanks everyone. I think I will just rely on my compass that's on my phone. THanks a ton
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2013, 05:31 PM
    CM, I'm the same way. I prefer left and right directions. If someone says "it's north of the mall" I say "Is that left, right, forward or backward?" For the life of me I can't figure out what you're asking, so you're not alone.

I know where East is only because our mall is called East gate mall, so it's obviously in the East. So I know where my home is because of that mall. But, like I said, tell me (go East on this and this street, then turn West, and I'll just give you a blank stare).

Isn't this why GPS was invented? ;)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 6, 2013, 05:36 PM
    Women are notorious for not knowing direction, that's why we use landmarks!

You know... Turn right at the mall, then turn left at the 3rd yellow mailbox on the right. Once you reach the house with the green picket fence, you need to slow down... etc...
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2013, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Women are notorious for not knowing direction, that's why we use landmarks!

You know.... Turn right at the mall, then turn left at the 3rd yellow mailbox on the right. Once you reach the house with the green picket fence, you need to slow down...etc..........
    Exactly! Turn right where Mr. Browns barn used to be, then travel down the old dirt road until you see the windmill at which point you turn right. There will be a lake on your left side, when you're half way past the lake you'll turn right. If you see a stop sign before that, you went too far.

I once gave directions to a friend to my house, made one wrong turn and she ended up in a town 1 1/2 hours away from where I live. But, in my defense, she's also female, and truth told, I really don't think I made a mistake when I gave her directions, that's just her claim.

West, South, North, East, I can write the "map", but tell me that the place I want to go is North of some other place, and I'll smack you. ;)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 6, 2013, 05:42 PM
    I can read a map, but don't expect me to follow it if I'm driving.

Men are good at directions, women rely on landmarks.
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2013, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I can read a map, but don't expect me to follow it if I'm driving.

Men are good at directions, women rely on landmarks.
    I'm horrible at maps where we live, but take me out of this country and I suddenly have super powers when it comes to maps. Okay, not just out of the country, but to Germany. While there I was the map goddess. Maybe it's only because it was in German. Damn. If it weren't for me hubby would still be lost in Germany, and we haven't been back since 2001.

But in general, it's landmarks, at least while I'm at home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the direction? [ 0 Answers ]

Consider the charged particle is positively charged What is the direction of the force acting on a charged particle moving out of a field oriented to the left? What is the orientation of the magnetic field, if a charged particle moving outward experiences an upward force? In what...

Which direction should I go [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I get what you sayn but I still kind of do like him.. seems like he left me for this girl.cause now all of a sudden he has a gurlfriend the 2 weeks that we've broken up.. crazy right! I know I got to accept it and move on like he did.. but I just want to get him back cause he wrong just for...

I need direction [ 3 Answers ]

I know I've hurt my daughter. I tried to kill myself over a year and 1/2 ago because we were in such debt and I could not see a way out, I fight depression and am bi-polar. My daughter has been very depressed also and I know she is holding things inside of her. I've gotten her to see a...

The right direction... [ 4 Answers ]

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help and support through my vunerability. I kept my doors open and I am finally starting to cross through to the other side. Pete and I seem to be getting even closer. I had not seen him for a couple of days last week and we went out with friends on...

View more questions Search