Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Northernblades Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2013, 11:02 AM
    Toilet flushing
    OK, I have done some trouble shooting, and hopefully it helps

The toilet bolw sits 1/2 full, if I flush, it burps, fails to flush, but fills properly.
    If I then flush it again immediately, it flushes properley.

If I take a 5 gallon bucket of watter, and dump it in the bowl, it flushes quickly

I can not hear the toilet leak, or fill, during the night and the level in the reservoir stays full.

If flushed with a full bowl, it flushes well enough.

Personaly I suspect a leak, between the reservoir and the bowl, permitting air into the syttem, breaking the syphon, However I have not seen mention of this anywhere else, and does not sound like a common problem. I would like to hear from others before I start taking things apart.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2013, 11:41 AM
    The toilet bolw sits 1/2 full, if I flush, it burps, fails to flush, but fills properly.
    If the bowl fills after flushing and then drains away then the flapper's doing its job OK.
    Personaly I suspect a leak, between the reservoir and the bowl, permitting air into the syttem, breaking the syphon,
    If that were so you'd have more water in the bowl not less and the flapper has nothing to do with the siphon action. When you have a full bowl when you go to bed does it lose water overnight? Back to you, Tom
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

May 1, 2013, 12:13 PM
    Try looking at the flapper when you flush your toilet. Flappers are designed differently to allow enough water to leave the tank before it closes. Putting food coloring in the tank and then finding color in the bowl shows the flapper is not sealing properly and needs to be replaced. A flapper that closes to fast needs to be replaced too. Make sure you get the correct flapper for your toilet. Check it out.
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2013, 01:01 PM
    A flapper that closes to fast needs to be replaced
    I disagree! The flapper needs the linkage adjusted not replaced, Besides, If you go back and read the complaint you'll see the bowl fills.
    Putting food coloring in the tank and then finding color in the bowl shows the flapper is not sealing
    That's correct but that would put water in the bowl while the complaint was the opposite. Back to Plumbing 101 for you, Cheers, Tom,

May 1, 2013, 05:20 PM
    After many weeks trouble shooting, and guessing, and asking for help, I am 90% sure I have solved it. I will leave it here, as a "quiz"

Tomorrow I will start giving hints. I got this sucker figured now.

No guesses? Here is a hint. Works fine when the cover is off the resivoir.
    Eternal Plumber

May 2, 2013, 09:31 AM
    here is a hint. Works fine when the cover is off the resivoir.
    Well then. Problem solved! You say,
    If it works with the tank lid off then you came up with your own solution and don't need our help. I've never did a toilet repair by simply removing the lid but I'm always looking for new solutions. Good luck, Tom

May 2, 2013, 12:32 PM
    The fill hose, that goes to the fill tube, was being kinked, when the reservoir lid was being placed on the tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank empty? Toilet not flushing? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! My toilet was flushing earlier, but now it is not. I discovered that I have almost no water in the tank. Any ideas?

Toilet not flushing properly,bath when emptied causes toilet to gurgle. [ 1 Answers ]

When toiet flushed water rises then slowly drains to correct level leaving deposits.if bath emtied or shower used toilet water gurgles.both done at same time results in both draing very slowly.when downstairs sink emptied toilet again gurgles(toilet upstairs)tried drain clearing devices and...

Toilet bowl that won't hold water, started with slow toilet, now non flushing [ 1 Answers ]

What started as a slow toilet, now non flushing except 1-2 times in morning, has turned into a toilet bowl that won't hold water but the tank still does. The tub is first on the line, then the toilet, then 30' to septic tank. Snaked through the vent, got a lot of greasy goo, but still toilet...

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

View more questions Search