Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheoryOfLuv18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2013, 05:26 AM
    18 year old dating a 48 year old
    Is it wrong to date a 48 year old when one is 18 years old?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 1, 2013, 05:28 AM
    As long as both parties are consenting then there nothing else to say.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 1, 2013, 07:45 AM
    It may be legal, and consenting, but in my humble opinion, it's just wrong.
    busymomma2013 Posts: 282, Reputation: 20

May 1, 2013, 07:57 AM
    If an 18 year old is in love with a 48 year old and a 48 year old is in love with an 18 year old, then I don't see anything wrong with it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2013, 09:47 AM
    Wrong from what perspective? An 18 yr old is an adult and capable of making their own decisions.

Do I think it's a good idea? No I don't. A 48 yr old probably has little in common with an 18 yr old and such a relationship is not likely to last long. But "wrong" requires perspective.
    emogirlheart Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

May 1, 2013, 11:53 AM
    My answer is age don't matter. If you like someone, you should go for it. I know I'm fifteen but I've liked older guys before but my parents are the only ones who stand in my way. Who's standing in yours? Go for it :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 1, 2013, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emogirlheart View Post
    My answer is age don't matter. If you like someone, you should go for it. I know I'm fifteen but I've liked older guys before but my parents are the only ones who stand in my way. Who's standing in yours? Go for it :)
    You're right in this case, as the 18 year old is legally an adult, and therefore legally allowed to decide who he/she wants to date (as long as that person is also an adult).

But age does matter. If this person weren't an adult the answers on this thread would be very different. At fifteen you cannot decide who you want to date, that decision is your parents, and even they don't have complete control. For instance, most places have a legal age of consent of at least 16, which means if you date someone, and have sex, they will be charged with statutory rape. That's the law. Your parents cannot consent to sexual activity, nor can you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2013, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emogirlheart View Post
    The sentiment that age doesn't matter is ridiculous. If age didn't matter, then this person wouldn't be asking the question. If age didn't matter then parents would allow their 15 yr olds to date 30 yr olds.

Sorry, emogirl, but age certainly DOES matter. The only people who use the it doesn't matter are people trying to justify a relationship that is questionable.

The fact is age matters less and less as people get older. For example, for a 50 yr old and a 30 yr old age matters extremely little if at all. Both parties are mature adults who can make their own decisions. But 18 and 48 represents a wide gap in interests and maturity. Is it insurmountable? No. But it will be difficult to deal with.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 1, 2013, 01:18 PM
    Emogirl has posted she's 15 and has been raped twice. Is this a problem with "dating" older guys?

As far as "wrong," that age gap is not illegal -which is a different thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search