Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Conniechile Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2013, 06:32 PM
    Landlord who is an LLC registered in Florida refuse to give back the deposit
    I rented an apartment in Florida for 3 years and moved out 2 months ago. When I first moved in back in 2010 , I paid 2 security deposits and first month rent. One security that was paid directly to the condo association for common areas and another one for the actual apartment. I left this property on March 1st and after the inspection, I was told that I will be receiving my deposit back. I received the condo assoc deposit but the one from the owner I did not. It's been now almost two months and the real-estate agent who has the legal right to manage the apartment claims that he never received a deposit from me. I provided him with copies of all the checks, original contract and emails, after, reading all this, he claims that the so call deposit was the last month rent. In any case, I provided copies of the last month check. His last email said that he will not refund any money to me and that its up to the owner to decide whether he wants or not to return my money. The original contract is written in such way that is not very clear that there were two deposits. The addendum of the contract say that I agreed to pay for the common area condo deposit and the actual contract say that I agree to pay for a security deposit. I have copies of the three checks that were cashed back when I moved in and the last month check that was also cashed.
    What can I do? I need my money.
    Help.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 28, 2013, 07:26 PM
    You have more than enough evidence to make a very good claim. File a lawsuit in small claims court against the landlord and the real estate agent for the return of your deposit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2013, 03:34 AM
    A landlord is required to return the deposit or an accounting of how it was used within a statutory amount of time. I'm not sure what that time frame is, but if you moved out 3/1, I'm sure its expired. I believe, under the statute, the landlord forfeits the right to use that deposit if he misses the deadline. I also believe that FL law allows you to sue for treble damages in that case.

So file in small claims court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New landlord never give me back deposit [ 14 Answers ]

I found room in rental website, so I went to see and gave one month deposit for 1sept in 8 aug , but 27 aug she send sms me she can't rent a room, so I said give my deposit back but she can't pay and her husband said he will pay end of this month but not sure. So how can I do and police told me go...

My landlord doesn't want to give me back my deposit! [ 3 Answers ]

I left a week ago, I let them know with a month in advance, I forgot to pick some garbage out, I painted the studio with their autorization, now he's telling me that I left the garbage and that he didn't gave me autorization to paint. I don't know what to do to get my $850 deposit back?

My Landlord Won't Give Me My Deposit Back I singed a contact in October 2008 for six [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented a property from October 2008 for six months since then I have continued living and paying rent in the property with no further contract as when I asked for one was told it is a rolling rent now I want my deposit back to move and the original agent that I pay the rent to and who took...

My landlord doesn't want to give me back my deposit [ 7 Answers ]

The landlord is in the middle of divorce' process and they decided to sell the house, but he said that his ex-wife should pay the deposit because she was the agent who made the rental agreement because she used to work as a real state but not anymore, she said that he said that she is not in charge...

View more questions Search