Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laura10706 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2013, 03:26 AM
    Neighbors trespassing in my yard problem
    Neighbor who always brings her dog over in my yard to meet my dog. My dog doesn't want to play with her dog. She is intrusive and walks right into the yard, next to the porch in a private area. Although we don't have fences, we consider the area private. Her dog jumps on people and she says oh she's just a puppy.

I can tell her to not go in the yard and respect our privacy but I know it will have ramifications down the road. Other people say I can't believe you have to tell someone not to walk in your yard and hang out there with their dog.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 28, 2013, 04:04 AM
    First you tell her, and if she doesn't stop, then it's a problem.
    Think of a polite but clear way to say it, without apologies. Something like 'I am used to the privacy of my own yard and want to keep it that way. I don't want to have to put up a fence.'
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2013, 12:55 PM
    Sadly some people think that anyone that has a dog, wants to hang out with, or doesn't mind someone else with a dog.

I would nicely tell her "Your dog is so sweet, but my dog doesn't really get along with other dogs, and I'm really worried that a fight will ensue. I really would appreciate you not coming on to my property with your dog."

If that doesn't work, you may have to start getting a bit more forceful.

Actually, you could avoid even talking to her. Put up a sign "Please respect my property, and my dog. Unless you're invited, keep off. Thank you". Or something along those lines. Probably could be said a bit better than that. ;)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2013, 01:17 PM
    Other answers have said similar things that I will say. That is, please tell her politely that you don't want anyone in your yard with another dog. Since your yard is not fenced in, people will come into your yard just about anytime they want to, unless you tell them not to.
    If telling her that you don't want anyone bringing their dogs into your yard doesn't keep her out, then I would call the Police and make a formal complaint against her.
    You have to decide just how far to go to make her stop.
    Personally, I would tell her to keep out nicely, or I will call the Police.
    Once you tell her to keep out, then if she comes back into your yard, she is tresspassing. I would then call the Police.
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2013, 01:29 PM
    Reminds me of when we first moved into our house. We didn't have a fence put up yet, and we were working on a retaining wall in the back yard. Our neighbors little boy would come over (he was around 2 years old) and play with the equipment, and the unfinished retaining wall. It was a very dangerous situation.

I repeatedly asked the neighbor to watch her toddler, and ensure that he didn't come into our yard. If he injured himself, despite the fact that he was trespassing on private property, I would be responsible. Every day I'd find her son playing in my yard.

I called the police, they came and talked to her, but the problem continued.

Finally I gave up, and decided to teach them the dangers of what they were allowing to have happen. The very next time the little boy came into my yard, I went outside with some cookies and milk, and we had a picnic. After around an hour his mother came looking for him. She found us eating cookies and playing a game. She was livid "How dare you feed my son cookies and milk? He could be allergic, you don't know". My response was "How dare you leave a toddler, still in diapers, to fend for himself, and play amongst power tools, and a stone wall that could hurt him? You're lucky that I'm the one that found him, and not someone that would actually do him harm".

After that she finally got it.

Throughout the years living here I've had many kids wander into my yard, and I have a fence, with a gate that has a latch that only an adult could reach. But they still come to my yard, mainly because of my dogs. All the kids love to play with my dogs.

Thankfully that neighbor with the toddler moved away, and the other parents only needed to be told once that their kids should be monitored, and not allowed to trespass, before they understood.

In other words, calling the police is definitely an option, but sometimes even that doesn't work. There's really not much they can do about it. They can talk to her about it, but that doesn't always work. Now, an electrocuted fence on the other hand... ;)

Apr 28, 2013, 02:37 PM
    Thanks to all who answered. I have kids trespassing on their way to school but somehow they stay on the perimeter on the property and know better than a grown woman who walks right up to the windows. There is a concept of a personal space boundary that needs to be recognized.
    The person who commented about the dog issue in particular, you are right on. Because I have a dog, any other dog is welcome here as if it is a dog park. I might not mind if my dog liked the dog, but her dog paws at my dog's face and my dog is gentle and kind but is annoyed and does not want to play with her 1 year old puppy.
    Since she's my neighbor I don't think I will call the police on her until I have asked her very clearly first.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2013, 08:52 AM
    "I can tell her to not go in the yard and respect our privacy but I know it will have ramifications down the road."

What ramifications? Is this a townhouse, condo, something with clear boundaries or is it a common area close to your residence?
    busymomma2013 Posts: 282, Reputation: 20

Apr 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
    We had similar issues to yours with our neighbor. We live on 25 acres and adjacent to us is our neighbor. He would come over on every once in a while and his female dog would follow. Which was a problem because our female dog is an old lady with a bit of an attitude. I would ask the neighbor that if he were to come over to please keep his dog at his home or call before coming so we could get our dog inside. He choose to keep coming over unannounced and let his dog tag along with him. One specific day she followed him up and the two dogs fought. Thankfully we were able to break it up becore either dog was injured. Every since that happened our neighbor has kept his dog home as asked. Unfortunately he had to see first hand to understand why we were asking him to keep the dog at home. I am not suggesting letting the dogs fight, but definitely talk with your neighbor and voice your concerns. Let them know that yoh will not be responsible if anything happens because you have warned her that there is that possibility. I would also post beware of dog signs.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Warning that you will not be responsible and being responsible are two different things. For example, you can't tell people that if they come over and are injured on your trampoline you will not be responsible. Same with their dog coming with them. There's another thread about a cat on someone's property which got chased by the poster's dog and injured on the poster's property - despite problems in the past - and the poster was ultimately responsible.

The secret is to say once and emphatically, "Please do not bring your dog onto my property."

If anyone is thinking about a beware of dog sign, in NY (which is where I'm an investigator) this is an admission that you know the dog could present a danger.

Maybe the World is full of hard headed, thoughtless neighbors.

I'm still interested in whether the OP is talking about a specific yard, "belonging" to her or a common area - ?
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2013, 02:55 PM
    Judy, it's the same here. If you put a beware of dog sigh up, it's an admission that your dog is dangerous. Therefore, if the dog attacks, it's a clear cut case because you've already admitted that the dog will attack.

I have a sign on my door that says "Dogs live here". I also have a sign that says "Dog on duty". I was told that neither of those signs are stating that my dogs are vicious (which they're not) and will attack (they'd more likely lick you to death).

Sadly, if something happens, the dogs fight, and her dog comes out the loser, the OP may be responsible. She really needs to make it very clear to this woman that she and her dog are not welcome on the OP's property without permission. Then she needs to follow up on it if the lady doesn't heed that request.

Any possibility of building a fence?
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2013, 03:09 PM
    And I'm still wondering if it's a "public" area -
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2013, 03:18 PM
    She does say it's a private area, and her yard. But yes, I'd like to hear exactly what sort of property this is because she does mention ramifications down the road. If it's her private home and her private yard, I don't understand what ramifications there would be for telling someone not to trespass. I didn't catch that phrase until you pointed it out.

I eagerly await to hear from the OP. :)

Apr 29, 2013, 03:56 PM
    My guess is she doesn't want hard feelings or tension with the neighbor. She may have used the wrong choice of words? But from reading the OP again, it soumds like it may be a common area i.e. apartment or condos. She states that the neighbor brings the dog to the porch which is what she considers to be her private area. We shall wait and see. :)
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2013, 04:07 PM
    Same page, Alty, same page.

Apr 30, 2013, 11:11 AM
    Hi again - thanks for the additional thoughts.

I spoke to my neighbor and asked her politely to not come in my yard as the area is private. She was surprised but so far so good.

As far as ramifications, I just meant that I don't like to have bad feelings with people that I will deal with for many years to come. I would rather not have to say anything that might upset someone but sometimes one has to to protect oneself.

This not common property at all. It is clearly my yard. It just doesn't have a fence and is on a corner so people can easily access the property from many directions. No one in my neighborhood has a fence. Most people respect the boundaries nonetheless and the dog walkers who let their dogs pee on the perimeter don't bother me. It was just this lady walking into an area very close to the house (looking through the windows close). She acted so righteous about it all waving hi through the windows.

She is educated, upper middle class. I was just surprised at her lack of awareness of respect for a person's personal space and personal boundaries.

If the woman came without a dog it would be the same problem. The dog on dog issues I can handle if the lady stays off the lawn.

Apr 30, 2013, 02:34 PM
    Well I am happy to hear that everything is working out for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat was killed in neighbors yard [ 2 Answers ]

I received a call from my neighbor that my cat was attacked by a armadillo in her yard. Went over to get her and her tongue was hanging out of her mouth. We rushed her to the hospital. She had a broken back, broken pelvis and a punctured lung. The vet put her down. I am now being sued by my...

Getting neighbors hedge out of my yard [ 8 Answers ]

The neighbor has a hedge between our properties, it was always taken care of by the neighbor until she passed away about 15 yrs ago. The new owner rents the home and they say it isn't their responsibility to trim, I wrote the owner and was ignored,it is up in my fruit trees and about 3 feet into...

Landlard cut down a tree in neighbors yard and now I have small like trees coming up [ 1 Answers ]

Land lord cut down neighbors yard last summer and now I have small like trees coming up all over my yard how can I get reid of them

Neighbor's kids causing damage and trespassing in my yard [ 11 Answers ]

For about the last year, my neighbor's kids and their friends have been playing in our yard, hitting our home over and over with their toys and causing damage to one of our trees, a young maple tree, by breaking off the branches. I didn't say much when it first started happening because I didn't...

View more questions Search