Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    james dale Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2013, 01:37 AM
    Am I liable for the mortgage debt?
    1st time buyer property bought on a joint mortgage.

House sold at a similar time of marital split but the joint mortgage was (stupidly!) ported to the new property with an additional mortgage loan obtained to make the purchase.

Sole ownership on new property deeds and new loan.

The new property has recently been abandoned, repossessed and sold leaving an outstanding debt on 2+ loans of approx. £80k, one of which is the ported mortgage which I am still party to.

I am now being chased for the debt having only temporarily lived there and never been an owner or on the deeds.

What can I do?

James
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2013, 06:18 AM
    If you were on loan for the new location, you owe the debt, does not matter if you lived there, it is also your debt
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2013, 09:22 AM
    If you signed for a loan and that loan remains in affect, even if the property changed hands, you could continue to be liable for the loan.

May 1, 2013, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    if you were on loan for the new location, you owe the debt, does not matter if you lived there, it is also your debt
    Thank you.

If I did not sign for the mortgage to be ported, do I have an argument?

What if I refuse to pay?

May 1, 2013, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If you signed for a loan and that loan remains in affect, even if the property changed hands, you could continue to be liable for the loan.
    Your answer is non-commital. 'Could' does not help. The world 'could' end tomorrow.

Thanks for trying to help.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 1, 2013, 08:54 AM
    Unfortunately, you are jointly liable for the mortgage.
    It could be argued that you are not liable for the additional funding, as you didn't agree to the porting.

Who is chasing for the outstanding balance and was there any agreement made concerning this under the marriage dissolution?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2013, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by james dale View Post
    Your answer is non-commital. 'Could' does not help. The world 'could' end tomorrow.

Thanks for trying to help.
    I'm sorry, but you gave us very little information yet you expect us to respond with a positive answer. As long as the loan is in effect and you signed for the loan you are responsible for that loan. Given the extenuating circumstances, a court might rule that you aren't. No one can predict what a court will do without having all the facts.But its unlikely you wouldn't be held responsible..

May 2, 2013, 01:35 AM
    Thank you.
    What further information do you require?

May 2, 2013, 01:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Unfortunately, you are jointly liable for the mortgage.
    It could be argued that you are not liable for the additional funding, as you didn't agree to the porting.

Who is chasing for the outstanding balance and was there any agreement made concerning this under the marriage dissolution ??
    The original mortgage company is chasing. I DID sign the documents for Property1 but after the mortgage was ported, I do not recall signing any thing to authorise this. It was an amicable split with my ex taking on a new property and furniture and I received a pay out (1/2 the equity). I am now liable for the full debt (of the original loan it seems! )

Many thanks for your help.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 2, 2013, 01:44 AM
    Unfortunately, unless your ex can be tracked down, you are the only person they can find to demand payment from.
    If you have any idea where she might be, you will need to make representation to the creditor yourself.
    National Debtline may well be able to give to more focused assistance as mortgage debt is not my ball park.

May 2, 2013, 12:29 PM
    She has left the country and got married! Ha!

Thank you.

Looks like I really am screwed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone who claimed bankruptcy be liable for a previous court order on debt [ 24 Answers ]

Hello All, I'm from Ontario, Canada and I'm really hoping someone can help me. I have a court order from Family Law Courts, stating my husband is "responsible for the balance and liabiliy owing on a joint credit line and shall indemnify and save harmless the respondent" (me). I have a...

Can we be held liable for this debt? [ 14 Answers ]

Very convoluted story, so please bear with me: my Aunt and uncle filed a homeowner's insurance claim about some missing cash. This was in 1987. Aunt, who lost the money, has since passed away. Uncle remarried in 2000, but has also since passed away, leaving only his second wife in charge of his...

I'm being sued over credit card debt. Is my husband liable? [ 1 Answers ]

I was just served a law suit over a credit card that I could not pay. My husband did not know about the card, was not a card holder and did not sign anything for the credit card company. I live in Pennsylvania. The house and cars are all in his name alone. Our bank accounts are joint. I am an...

Are you still liable for a debt that has been delinquent for over 8 years? [ 1 Answers ]

If a credit card account has been delinquent since 1998/99 and has been on my credit report for over 8 years, am I still liable for that debt? Shouldn't this debt be null and void? I noticed that every time this particular credit card debt is sold to another collection agency, it shows up on my...

Liable for debt of deceased mother [ 7 Answers ]

My mother has recently passed away, leaving an outstanding loan. The bank have said that my brothers and I must pay the balance of £4700. However, there is no money in my mothers estate and so we would have to pay this ourselves. Are we liable for payment or should the bank write the debt off?

View more questions Search