Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheshe14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2013, 09:05 AM
    Pay While On Medical Leave
    I work as a manager for a retail corporation I am paid a weekly salary. I broke my ankle not on the job. Applied for a FMLA (family medical leave of absense). I had to use my vacation days to still receive a paycheck that was only 2 weeks.
    Being on salary should I not get at least a portion of my pay? I live in Marion County, Florida. I just received a bill for my insurance now I'm really confused. My FMLA was an approved one.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 09:12 AM
    I don't think the company is obligated to pay you if you are on leave from something that happened outside of work. You would have to look at their policies but as for being a law, it's not likely.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2013, 09:39 AM
    FMLA requires that your employer give you UNPAID time and hold your job for you. The employer is not required to continue salary or benefits during the leave. However, COBRA will allow you to pay the same rate the company pays for health benefits.

Getting paid for time out sick is subject to company policy. If your company has short and/or long term leave programs, that might have gotten you pay during that time. But you are not entitled for pay unless you work, at least, a partial day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical leave due to pregrancy within US without pay [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is on H1B right now and is expecting a baby soon. She is paying for a benefit(provided through her employer) that will pay her 3 months short term disability and 6 months long term disability in case of situations where she cannot work. 1. Is my wife allowed to avail the short term...

Medical leave [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in my current work for 3 months,y doctor just schedule me a minor suregy and I will need to take 2 weeks off. Can I lose my job?

Do I have to pay back maternity leave pay or disability pay? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm going out on disability next week for about three-four weeks. After that, I'll be having a baby and I'll get 6 weeks maternity pay at 50%. Do I have to pay my company back for this if I quit while on leave? My benefits are under my husband.

Tenants can't pay rent, will not pay in the future, but will not leave. Please help! [ 10 Answers ]

My tenants have a lease purchase contract with us. They are to give us 30 days notice if they cannot pay rent or decide not to purchase the home or we can take immediate ownership of the property. I listen to excuses every month when they are 2 weeks late on payments and have not charged them...

Fired on medical leave [ 5 Answers ]

I had a job working for ferguson enterprises inc. working in there warehouse gathering product. I got injured pretty good on the job. I got a hold of l&I and opened up a claim. That all went well. At first I was at work doing light work for them. During the month that I was on light duty I noticed...

View more questions Search