Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hurdlegirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2013, 07:14 PM
    Shin Splints?
    I am a 15 year old hurdler and I have never had shin splints before... I just noticed today that I had them really bad, it was hard to even practice! I just got home a suffered through 15 minute ice baths on each leg and I was just wondering if there was anything else I could do to help... For examle, does heat work? Any weird lotions? (Ketchup and salt ;P) Idk what else to do and I have a meet in 2 days and I really need it to go well...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 05:00 AM
    Hi Hurdlegirl, this information on shin splints is from WebMD:

What's the Treatment for Shin Splints?

Although shin splints may be caused by different problems, treatment is usually the same: Rest your body so the underlying issue heals. Here are some other things to try:

Icing the shin to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.
    Anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, will help with pain and swelling. However, these drugs can have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.
    Arch supports for your shoes. These orthotics -- which can be custom-made or bought off the shelf -- may help with flat feet.
    Range of motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
    Neoprene sleeve to support and warm the leg.
    Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in your shins.

In rare cases, surgery is needed for severe stress fractures and other problems that can cause shin splints.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 26, 2013, 05:10 AM
    I'd tell your coach. You really need to opt out of exercise for more than 2 days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have stress fractures again or is it just some pain and shin splints? [ 0 Answers ]

So about 5 months ago I had stress fractures in both shins(worse in the right leg)from XCountry. I was on crutches for about 3 weeks and then haven't ran on it until about 5-6 weeks ago. I worked myself up to running, doing only a couple laps and walking then growing to miles. Know I am doing...

Do I have stress fractures again or is it just some pain and shin splints? [ 0 Answers ]

So about 5 months ago I had stress fractures in both shins(worse in the right leg)from XCountry. I was on crutches for about 3 weeks and then haven't ran on it until about 5-6 weeks ago. I worked myself up to running, doing only a couple laps and walking then growing to miles. Know I am doing...

How do you know if you have a stress fracture or just shin splints? [ 3 Answers ]

To Anyone who has a clue about running injuries Last week I was running an interval workout when my calf began to tighten up. I have had a stress fracture before, but this did not feel anything like that. The pain is purely in the muscel and I do not have any tender spots throughout my tibia...

Shin splints? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know if I have a stress fracture in my leg or just have shin splints?

Preventing Shin Splints [ 5 Answers ]

My avatar might have already given it away, but I like to Irish dance. I stretch, warm up, then stretch again before practicing, but I still get painful shin splints. The area on the inside right along my shin bone hurts really badly after I work out for 30 minutes. I can't seem to isolate...

View more questions Search