Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andreyveritas Posts: 32, Reputation: 0

Apr 25, 2013, 04:20 PM
    Please Help With My Essay
    ((what claim the author is making in this passage, what his grounds are
    For that claim, and what is at stake in the passage—what are the implications, and why is it significant for the argument as a whole.))))
    Socrates “I understand that the just come to light as wiser and better and more able to accomplish something, while the unjust
    can’t accomplish anything with one another – for we don’t speak the complete truth about those men who say we vigorously
    accomplished some common object with one another although they were unjust; they could never have restrained themselves
    with one another if they were completely unjust, but it is plain that there was a certain justice in them which caused them at
    least not to do injustice to one another at the same time that they were seeking to do it to others” (p. 31)\

THIS IS MY ESSAY, PLEASE HELP CORRECT IT
    In this passage, the author is trying to say that there are still just people in the world. Just people are better suited to justice than the unjust people because unjust people accomplish very little. In the just state, each person has a specific set of responsibilities, a set of obligations to the community which, if everyone accomplishes them, will result in a harmonious whole. When people do what they are supposed to do, they receive whatever credit and reward they earn, and if they fail to do their task, they are properly punished. In the passage, Thrasymachus is saying that “even if the just man suffers no other penalty, it is his lot to see his domestic affairs deteriorate from neglect, while he gets no advantages from the public store, thanks to him being just” (Plato 21). In the debate, Socrates is also saying that the unjust people also have some modicum of justice that works to a certain extent. However, this is unsuitable in terms of a complete system of justice. The unjust people are always doing everything for their own benefit, they don’t think about anyone else but what is there for them. For example, Socrates says, “Then this benefit, getting wages, is for each not a result of his own art; but, if it must be considered precisely” (Plato 24). The unjust people will never do anything if they don’t see some benefits for themselves. A robber, for example, is unjust because he wants to have what is not his own. Overall, unjust people either do not understand the qualities and responsibilities appropriate to their condition in life, or treat someone worse than they deserves. Also, an unjust state fails to achieve the tasks of a state. On the other hand, the just person will never go against the just person because it will be unjust. Even if they are fighting for the same job position the just person will never go against another just person.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2013, 06:24 PM
    You've posted your homework 13 times since January 31st of this year in several different subjects.

AMHD does not do homework. That's for starters. I do, however, note that you've been helped with questions in accounting, law, social studies, writing, philosophy, other society and cultures.

Why do you think you're having so much difficulty in school? Have your parents considered a private tutor?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 06:27 PM
    You overuse the words "just" and "unjust" without really defining them and clarifying their meanings with good examples.
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Apr 25, 2013, 08:44 PM
    For me this is a very difficult essay because it relies on what can be implied from the quote. Nonetheless we shall push on.

"In this passage the author is trying to say there are still just people in the world and better suited to justice than unjust people because unjust people accomplish very little."

After this you go on to talk about a "just state" While it is true that a just state exhibits characters of justice I would stick to the idea of individual justice.

With this in mind I would leave out "In the just state each person has a specific set of responsibilities..................they are properly punished"

Instead could start with something like this...

In the passage the author is trying to say there are still just people in the world. Just people are better suited to justice than unjust people because the unjust accomplish very little. On this basis Socrates is actually claiming that what is at stake is knowledge of what justice actually is. By showing that the accounts of justice presented thus are inadequate in terms of definitions Socrates is hoping we are beginning to see that justice is somehow related to virtue and wisdom.

If you want to use the Thrasymachus quote I would use it as an example of an inadequate definition of justice. Keep in mind that Thrasymachus is against any suitable definition of justice. Keep in mind that the prior discussion leading up to this quote has led Socrates to believe that he has convinced Thrasymachus that justice is somehow related to wisdom and virtue.

The rest of you essay represents a good example of what happens when we have inadequate definitions of justice to work with. In other words this is what happens in a state where men lack justice as a virtue... You would need to make this clear if you are still going to use it.

Also you need to use paragraphs.
    andreyveritas Posts: 32, Reputation: 0

May 6, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You've posted your homework 13 times since January 31st of this year in several different subjects.

AMHD does not do homework. That's for starters. I do, however, note that you've been helped with questions in accounting, law, social studies, writing, philosophy, other society and cultures.

Why do you think you're having so much difficulty in school? Have your parents considered a private tutor?
    3 different people use this account. That's why there are so many different questions, for different subjects. In one year we asked only around 13 questions, that's not a lot. I believe that this site is for asking questions. If you can not help, then there is no need to write anything. Thank you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 6, 2013, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andreyveritas View Post
    3 different people use this account. That's why there are so many different questions, for different subjects. In one year we asked only around 13 questions, that's not a lot. I believe that this site is for asking questions. If you can not help, then there is no need to write anything. Thank you.
    This site is for ONE user having ONE screen name only. The site is free and it's easy to register. You are in danger of being kicked off the site.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2013, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andreyveritas View Post
    Like WG stated, we don't allow multiple users on one account. This site is free, there is absolutely no reason why three people should be sharing one account, and it's against the rules of this site.

Bottom line, we won't do your homework, that's also one of the rules of this site. It doesn't matter how many times you post, or how many times you ask, or how hard the assignment is for you. It's your homework, and you have to do it.

We will critique your work, but we won't make corrections for you, we won't do the work for you.

So post your essay again, but fix it with the suggestions that were made, and we'll offer more critique. But we won't fix it for you, that's not our job, that's yours. Tell the other 2 people to get their own accounts, and read the rules together before you post anything else.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 6, 2013, 07:43 PM
    Thread closed!

Only ONE person per account please!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What do you think of my essay? [ 6 Answers ]

This is only a small part that contains the gist of the essay, which is about religious toleration. Before I will pass this for a university requirement, I would like to solicit your views about it first. _________________________________________________________________ What is Religious...

Help with my essay please [ 5 Answers ]

In my experience, there are three kinds of drivers in this world, The Erratic Driver, the Over Cautious Driver, and the Alert Driver. There is the Erratic Driver, this type of driver can seem to be fairly unpredictable on the road, with their tailgating and speeding, this person is the most...

Help me on my essay? [ 3 Answers ]

Any ideas on how I can do my essay? What makes me frighten? And how can I elaborate on it?

Trying to do an essay [ 5 Answers ]

Compare two specific articles of the Magna Carta with articles or amendments found in the U.S. Constitution help me someone please.

Essay help [ 6 Answers ]

How can you treat the subject of your essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of your point of view?

View more questions Search